+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My great memories of going to the cinema are all from the '70s and '80s. One big screen, huge auditorium with a balcony. Always packed and a real atmosphere. Queuing to get in only heightened the tension.

First the adverts: Pearl and Dean. Smoke from the smoking section would already be hanging in the projector beam. Then the crackly commercial for the Indian Restaurant. There's a pube stuck on the camera lens in some shots, but what the hell, this was the '70s so they used them anyway. Then the lights go back up and they flog you ice creams. Then lights down again and time for the first feature. Usually this would be that film where they rescue the blind pit ponies, but occasionally they would put on the documentary on North Sea oil.

Lights go back up, more ice cream selling,

Finally it goes dark again. Everyone knows this is it so they scramble back to their seats, a hush descends. But no! First it is 'Coming Soon!' ' A U trailer advertising an X rated film'. Usually a horror or sci-fi horror you were too young to be able to go and see. But women would be screaming just from the trailer.

And so, at last, the 'British Board Of Film Censors' notice would come up for the film that you actually came to see. We are a couple of hours in now already. Cue dozens of cat calls and wolf-whistles and cheers. At last! Not only have you paid for this but by now you have fucking-well earned it.

Regardless of how good or bad the film was, coming out was like leaving a football match that you won: a huge crowd shuffling to the exits, everyone on a high. Getting back out onto the street was weird: you'd been in there for that long that the outside world now seemed a strange, alien place that you only barely remembered.

That was an event, easily surpassing what you can have at home, no matter how big your screen or how good the picture or sound. But going to the cinema today is not like that at all anymore.
    Well, that was a real trip down memory lane. Reading that bought memories flooding back, I could feel the atmosphere. You have made me realise how sterile a trip to the cinema is these days.

Clearaudio Emotion with Clearaudio Performer cart
    Copland CDA 266
    Copland CSA 28
    Squeezebox Touch
    Impulse Lali
    Van Damme I/Cs and cables

I'm James.

Just had an email saying my Blu-Ray is on its way.

Excited !!!!!

Jim

I'm Ian.

My great memories of going to the cinema are all from the '70s and '80s. One big screen, huge auditorium with a balcony. Always packed and a real atmosphere. Queuing to get in only heightened the tension.

First the adverts: Pearl and Dean. Smoke from the smoking section would already be hanging in the projector beam. Then the crackly commercial for the Indian Restaurant. There's a pube stuck on the camera lens in some shots, but what the hell, this was the '70s so they used them anyway. Then the lights go back up and they flog you ice creams. Then lights down again and time for the first feature. Usually this would be that film where they rescue the blind pit ponies, but occasionally they would put on the documentary on North Sea oil.

Finally it goes dark again. Everyone knows this is it so they scramble back to their seats, a hush descends. But no! First it is 'Coming Soon!' ' A U trailer advertising an X rated film'. Usually a horror or sci-fi horror you were too young to be able to go and see. But women would be screaming just from the trailer.

And so, at last, the 'British Board Of Film Censors' notice would come up for the film that you actually came to see. We are a couple of hours in now already. Cue dozens of cat calls and wolf-whistles and cheers. At last! Not only have you paid for this but by now you have fucking-well earned it.

Regardless of how good or bad the film was, coming out was like leaving a football match that you won: a huge crowd shuffling to the exits, everyone on a high. Getting back out onto the street was weird: you'd been in there for that long that the outside world now seemed a strange, alien place that you only barely remembered.

That was an event, easily surpassing what you can have at home, no matter how big your screen or how good the picture or sound. But going to the cinema today is not like that at all anymore.
    That really is as it was, we also had the bonus that the fire doors at the back of the local ABC cinema opened into the bus depot and people used them to leave rather than queue for the main doors. Those of us " in the know " would hang around waiting for the doors to open and in we'd go. I lost count of how many times I saw Jaws lol.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Grant.

Default Blade Runner 2049

One of our cinemas was called the flea pit for good reason.
    We were always a cinematic family. My grandad had 3 silent movie cinemas.

Good post Martin. We had similar experiences
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Excellent and evocative post Martin.

Did you, as a youngster, go to the Saturday matinees? Starting with a 'sing-along' (which no-one did), then a cartoon or two, followed by a serial (Flash Gordon or Zorro), then the 'main feature'. All for the sum of 1s/6d (7.5p).
    Last edited by Barry; 07-02-2018 at 13:44. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Gary.

4K Bluray arriving today from Amazon.
    Saving it for the Weekend, looking forward to it will be a treat.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    son's bluray just through post. he will enjoy it i'm sure
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Chris.

"Regardless of how good or bad the film was, coming out was like leaving a football match that you won: a huge crowd shuffling to the exits, everyone on a high. Getting back out onto the street was weird: you'd been in there for that long that the outside world now seemed a strange, alien place that you only barely remembered."

I vividly recall coming out of a Fellini film -you aesthetes will know-they're WEIRD! - and there was a torrential storm outside-so it DID seem rather mind-blowing!

Was just talking about B-Runner2 this morning. Being 'careful with money', I've reserved it at Library!
    Support your local library! Here in Bristol, Council aka, elected dictator-mayor, is trying to close HALF our libraries!
    Chris.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post

I vividly recall coming out of a Fellini film -you aesthetes will know-they're WEIRD! - and there was a torrential storm outside-so it DID seem rather mind-blowing!
    Funnily enough, I watched 8 1/2 on my own at the riverfront cinema in Bristol a couple of years ago and I know exactly what you mean.

There were times when I just wanted to walk out, thinking it was utter w@nkery but then it picked up again and towards the end I thought it was a masterpiece.
    Need to sit through it again though as I'm sure it's one of those pictures where you miss lots of little nuggets first time round.

Oh, and purely for the lovely Ms Cardinale of course
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    You’ll love it mate.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast