+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Headphones open or closed back

I'm Lawrence.

Default Headphones open or closed back

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    All things being equal, open-back headphones are more natural, less coloured, and just sound more, erm, open. They leak noise out, and let outside noise in though.

Closed back headphones offer more isolation from the outside world, which can be advantageous in many situations.
    Totally agree, always go open if the environment allows.

I've owned about 30 pairs over the years including stax lamdas but I've finally settled on the Hifiman HE500s as my end game cans. These can be had for about £300 but need some driving as do most planars. They can be driven from a normal speaker amp with an adaptor or fitting banana plugs to the cable in place of the jack (or go bare wire) so you don't need to buy a headphone amp. In return I've got the closest sound i could find to a good pair of speakers.

Below £150 I recommend a pair of Sennheiser HD580s (I luckily got mine for £50 with worn pads) and spend the rest on an amp. I love the little dot mk3 with them with upgraded tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lawrence001; 07-01-2017 at 23:24.

I'm Lawrence.

Default Headphones open or closed back

Doh

I'm Jez.

Open back. I've always found them to be more well.. open sounding...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123