+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Headphones open or closed back

I'm guy.

Quote Originally Posted by archiesdad View Post
    I use open back when I just want to listen alone late at night, no one to annoy with the leaking sound and I have a closed back pair for when she's watching shit on the telly so I don't disturb her. Both pairs are comfy and sound fine to me.
    +1

Open back - Alessandro MS (effectively Grado, but cheaper in UK than Grado for some strange reason) , live, dynamic, caused ructions with rest of family

Closed back/portable - B&W P3, classy and comfortable for my head (in fact comfort is the deciding factor, over sound quality,for me. No point having brilliant sounding headphones that can only be worn for five minutes imo).

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Have a look at the THOMANN site.
    +1
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Peter.

Not any real experience, but I do like Grado headphones. I spent an afternoon at a dealers auditioning the entire line some years ago. They were all good, but I ended up preferring the second-to-bottom of the range, the SR80s. When I (apologetically) told the dealer that I thought them better than the more pricey ones, he said he thought so too! Compared to Sennheisers, I found them more dynamic and lively.

Actually, I'm not allowed to wear headphones when others are around, because they tell me I end up tunelessly humming along and drumming randomly with the music ... so, it kind of defeats the purpose of having them

I'm Grant.

My next set will maybe be grados. Happy with the at,s though. A set of opens would be nice to change with, so grado or akg 701/2 maybe. I have to say i think cans have come on a fair bit since my last set several years ago.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

I have AKG-702s myself, and I think they're great.
    They're also £ 17.00 less than I paid for mine at the moment https://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-Open-Ba...akg+headphones
    Much more communicative than the rather opaque sounding Sennheiser HD-650s I tried (some folks call 'em warm, I think opaque is a much more accurate term).
    They AKGs are very leaky - I can clearly make out what they're playing from the next room when the house is quiet.
    They also need to be thrashed to get the best out of them. They sound horrible from cold, running for a couple of hours improves things considerably, but a good couple of weeks run in is needed to get them to perform properly.

To get the best out of headphones you need a decent headphone amp - the built in headphone output on most amplifiers will simply be an attenuated output from the power amp, and will most definitely be limited in current delivery capabilities. They'll also vary hugely in quality.
    I use a Graham Slee Solo II/PSU1 headphone amplifier, and it performs its task very well indeed. It's a load better than the output from my integrated amplifier.
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 22-12-2016 at 23:23.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Neil.

All things being equal, open-back headphones are more natural, less coloured, and just sound more, erm, open. They leak noise out, and let outside noise in though.

Closed back headphones offer more isolation from the outside world, which can be advantageous in many situations.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm tony.

Came home from a late shift Monday night my sons car was in the drive so assumed he was tucked up in bed-put the chain on the door and sat down with Honey Jack and set about listening to Prince on the cans. I dont know the hit n run album very well but was amazed when i heard knocking sounds way out on the edges of the soundstage. I was thinking it was an incredible recording until I noticed the wee fella frantically waving outside in the dark-yup he had been knocking the window for two tracks!!!

Im a manto....

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    My next set will maybe be grados. Happy with the at,s though. A set of opens would be nice to change with, so grado or akg 701/2 maybe. I have to say i think cans have come on a fair bit since my last set several years ago.
    Tread ightly.. Lower priced Grados have uncomfortable Ear pads and Mehhh sounds.
    As in mine albeit by necessity..Tweaked, are still nowhere near as good sounding as my speakers,
    as result I haven't bothered using them for years now
    Mo' $$ improves on both comfort and sounds but then there Are competitors.
    Best to audition a pair at length (overnight?) before paying as intial impressions.. Change with familiarity.

I'm givingyouaprettygoodclue.

IMHO the difference in presentation between various headphones is quite big regardless of whether they're open or closed and there are good examples of both designs. I have each and to the original question would recommend listening to Beyer DT990 Pros, which are open backed. They have an upfront and punchy sound compared to, say, many Sennheisers which can be more laid back and clinical (although that can have a time and a place too) and are comfy and durable. They have a wide following among musicians and studios so can be easily sold on if you wish and retail for around £100.

Pete

I'm martin.

Quote Originally Posted by petrat View Post

Actually, I'm not allowed to wear headphones when others are around, because they tell me I end up tunelessly humming along and drumming randomly with the music ... so, it kind of defeats the purpose of having them
    It's not just me then, been known to even start singing? along when perched on a sun lounger with a book in on hand and a brandy in the other.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast