+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: ZXY Bloom R50 MC Review

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I've been using a Zyx R50 Bloom for quite a while now and I agree that it is an excellent cartridge. Previous cartridges include the more expensive Kontrapunkt B and Lyra Lydian beta but I think I prefer the Zyx because it's so unfussy and natural. Totally agree that it needs at least 2gm tracking force and it is sensitive to VTA - not in a bad way but you can tune in a bit more bass or treble if you want though I prefer it flat. Excellent choice Oliver!
    Thanks Ian,

Ill keep it flat because it sounds right to me. That's an endorsement on its own if it's preferred to more expensive carts.

I've done a lot of swapping of gear recently so I'm really pleased I found this cartridge. I am just going to leave it where it is and enjoy it.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The 220ohm loading sounds better than any other I've tried too.
    Can I ask what other load impedances you have tried? I ask because I'm of the belief that the load impedance doesn't matter all that much. ZYX's own recommendation is for anything above 100 ohms, and that would be my recommendation too.

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Can I ask what other load impedances you have tried? I ask because I'm of the belief that the load impedance doesn't matter all that much. ZYX's own recommendation is for anything above 100 ohms, and that would be my recommendation too.
    I have tried 100ohm , 235ohm and 470ohm there is lot of difference between those ,
    100 sound flat/dull
    470 bass becomes overblown and highs are bit harsh
    235 sound just about right , I will try different values once I receive resistors to make some more loading plugs

Bigman80 Guest

The honest answer is ..... I have no idea. I have 100ohm and 220ohm on my amp and two more on my SUT which are labelled as 30ohm and 10ohm but I don't think that relates to loading.

I've tried it on all four options and there was a definite lifting of the veil at 220ohm. 100ohm sounded close to that but sounded a touch suppressed and the 30ohm and 10ohm on the SUT sounded very refined and smooth but not quite as alive. There is a definite difference. I don't understand all the loading gumph so i rely on my ears. They don't lie.

I'm Paul.

+1

I have tried everything from 100 to 470 and it makes no discernible difference at all with the ZYX. The quality of the SUT and RIAA/preamplification circuit is of far greater importance imho.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    +1

I have tried everything from 100 to 470 and it makes no discernible difference at all with the ZYX. The quality of the SUT and RIAA/preamplification circuit is of far greater importance imho.
    That's interesting. Some people, like me are convinced and others have had no discernible difference.

I'll retry my options later and take a good deal of time trying to see how they differ.

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    +1

When you say quality of the SUT what technical/electrical parameters do you have in mind?
    I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm bit curious ,
    I have built in the past quite few tube amplifiers and used different OT from Lundahl , Sowter , custom made , some chinese made and as long as they were similar specs I couldn't tell one from the other , same applies to interstage transformers.
    Last edited by mac72; 23-12-2016 at 14:45.

I'm Ian.

I use 100 ohm and I would say it sounds anything but dull and flat. I've tried higher settings but I'm quite happy with 100 ohm. Each to his own, up to you Oliver to find a setting that suits your ears and equipment.

I'm Slav.

Quote Originally Posted by ianlenco View Post
    I use 100 ohm and I would say it sounds anything but dull and flat. I've tried higher settings but I'm quite happy with 100 ohm. Each to his own, up to you Oliver to find a setting that suits your ears and equipment.
    Right on the money, some people hear 1mm VTA change some don't , same with loading,VTF, etc...
    Dial it the way you like it best.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    When you say quality of the SUT what technical/electrical parameters do you have in mind?
    I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm bit curious ,
    I have built in the past quite few tube amplifiers and used different OT from Lundahl , Sowter , custom made , some chinese made and as long as they were similar specs I couldn't tell one from the other , same applies to interstage transformers.
    There's a world of difference between core materials used between some SUTs, the interleave windings for bandwidth, parasitic capacitance effects and the like. This can make a surprising difference, audibly, between good and poor designs. It is easily audibly discernible. It's no surprise since such effects usually result in an SUT's performance deviating from their design ideal characteristics. I worked on the development of an SUT a few years back, and for such a simple concept, it was surprisingly difficult to have one made which performed as expected. In my case, the core material was saturating rather unexpectedly so had to be redesigned and re-specified. Andrew is the real expert here though so you may be better addressing the same question to Andrew for a more comprehensive answer.

There are worlds of difference between various MM RIAA/gain amplifier designs as I'm sure you're aware being someone with the experience and knowledge to build them, so forgive me, but it seems a rather odd thing to suggest by inference that all SUTs or phono stages should sound the same? Forgive me if that is not what you meant, but it is how it comes across. Even things like the implementation of the power supplies matters, a lot. The proof of the pudding is in things like measured distortion and S/N performance. Designs that measure well in this respect usually sound the best to my ears too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast