+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ZXY Bloom R50 MC Review

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Arghhh "will you lot behave yourselves" as he rummages down the back of the sofa.....😂
    DO IT !!!! lol. It's a phenomenal little cartridge and not to be sniffed at aesthetically.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Bigman80 Guest

I am currently tracking at 1.7g which I know is the lower end of the scale ZYX recommend but it sounds damn good!! I've just had a 220ohm loading added to my amp courtesy of Firebottle

Also had a switch cleaned too !!

I am looking forward to trying that out.

I will at some point add higher level components into my system but for now I'll just enjoy for a while.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    DO IT !!!! lol. It's a phenomenal little cartridge and not to be sniffed at aesthetically.

I should have bought Geoff's one when he offered it to me a while back 😥

Rarely seen second hand and loathe to pay for new.

Patience will have to be the name of the game.

We need to start a cartridge swap club so people can try various models out prior to purchase 🤔

Bigman80 Guest

We need to start a cartridge swap club so people can try various models out prior to purchase 🤔
    That's a nice idea. Would people participate ?

Bigman80 Guest

PS. I bought Geoff's !

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mac72 View Post
    Hi Oliver
    Did you experiment with loading, I started with 100ohm increased lately to ~235ohm it opens the sound a lot (I'm going to make some loading plugs over Xmas and fine tune it).
    What VTF you run it at?
    Great write up
    Slav
    Alan quite generously offered to adjust my loading to 220ohms on the amp.

I am so glad he did. WOW! You are right on the money. The stage is now wide open. Sounds like I've had my ears cleaned. Very revealing. Spacious and alive. Wow. I only had time for one side of an LP but what a side it was!.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    It still amazes me how ZYX MC's just get out of the way and let the music through. To such an extent that you stop being aware of 'hearing a cartridge' and just enjoy the music. It's like a pair of curtains that were in front of the speakers having been opened.
    At 220ohms those curtains opened again !

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Nice one Oliver . It's great when a plan comes together
    I'm a happy camper.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Nice write up of your thoughts Oliver and you've nailed what it does well....it showcases the LP, whilst not drawing attention to any shortcomings with itself!

I've been a big advocate of the R50 for some years, and have always rated it as the best VFM in MC cartridge land that there is. Whilst not exactly cheap, it's not up there in the stratospheric heights with other cartidges weighing in at the cost of an expensive amplifier, and it holds its own surprisingly well against such competition. In fact, I prefer it to its more costly sibling, the R100.

The model line up has changed slightly, with Boron not being justifiably sustainable by many companies now, so ZYX have now changed the design to an all new aluminium cantilever of a differing design. The generator I'm reliably informed, remains the same.

Whatever the changes, one thing's for sure...few MC cartridges at that budget that can do what the R50 Bloom does so well. It's good enough to have you reap the rewards with a top class phonostage too, and presents no bottleneck further up the source.

I hope that you get many years of enjoyment out of it. One tip: It is a light bodied cartridge for its lowish compliance and with most medium mass tonearms, does benefit from a headshell mass of 2 to 3 grammes being added. AT do one for a few pounds or you can make your own (just don't use ferrous metals!). The increased effective mass will benefit tracking and lower distortion whilst improving heft and detail. I'd advise keeping the tracking weight at around 2 to 2.2 grammes and no lighter.
    Thanks, im glad I captured it in a way that makes sense.

Do you have a link to the AT mass things (can't remember what they're called lol)

Bigman80 Guest

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391658003543. 🤑

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast