+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ZXY Bloom R50 MC Review

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    You sold it to me! Another on my list for future consideration.
    I can't imagine you'd be anything but pleased with one. It's staying in my system for the long term. 👍

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Brian.

Nice one Oliver . It's great when a plan comes together
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Paul.

Nice write up of your thoughts Oliver and you've nailed what it does well....it showcases the LP, whilst not drawing attention to any shortcomings with itself!

I've been a big advocate of the R50 for some years, and have always rated it as the best VFM in MC cartridge land that there is. Whilst not exactly cheap, it's not up there in the stratospheric heights with other cartidges weighing in at the cost of an expensive amplifier, and it holds its own surprisingly well against such competition. In fact, I prefer it to its more costly sibling, the R100.

The model line up has changed slightly, with Boron not being justifiably sustainable by many companies now, so ZYX have now changed the design to an all new aluminium cantilever of a differing design. The generator I'm reliably informed, remains the same.

Whatever the changes, one thing's for sure...few MC cartridges at that budget that can do what the R50 Bloom does so well. It's good enough to have you reap the rewards with a top class phonostage too, and presents no bottleneck further up the source.

I hope that you get many years of enjoyment out of it. One tip: It is a light bodied cartridge for its lowish compliance and with most medium mass tonearms, does benefit from a headshell mass of 2 to 3 grammes being added. AT do one for a few pounds or you can make your own (just don't use ferrous metals!). The increased effective mass will benefit tracking and lower distortion whilst improving heft and detail. I'd advise keeping the tracking weight at around 2 to 2.2 grammes and no lighter.

I'm Dave.

Great write up.

Unfortunately, the R50 Bloom is no longer manufactured. The replacement is the R50 Bloom 3 at £800.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Great write up.

Unfortunately, the R50 Bloom is no longer manufactured. The replacement is the R50 Bloom 3 at £800.
    It is practically the same cartridge using a different cantilever David. There is very little difference between them in terms of the generator and stylus profile and the specs are unsurprisingly almost identical . The costs of the R50 went up prior to the launch of the revised R50 Bloom3 due to the fall of the pound, as with many other cartridges, so it's not quite the hike assumed compared with where the pound was against the dollar pre referendum.

People shouldn't be put off. Even at £800 it still represents something of an audio bargain as anyone who's heard one can attest.

I'm Kevin.

How do they compare to a Hana SL?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Never tried a Hana SL, but any MC under £1000 is going to have its work cut out against the R50 Bloom H, including the dearer R100 series ZYX's. The R50 is as good in its own way. The R100 Yatra is a noticeable step up in sound quality, but no more enjoyable in musicality terms.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Nice one Oliver . It's great when a plan comes together
    Thanks Brian. I'm over the moon. Just getting the amp serviced and Alan is going to put me 220ohm loading on one of the switches. See how that goes.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I've never heard the Hana SL, so can't offer any comment. I can say though that the R50 is the best vfm LOMC that I've ever owned or heard. Geoff has been delighted with his and Oliver obviously identifies with its strengths too.

The only MC's that would tempt me away would be the Transfiguration Phoenix or one of the Miyajima cartridges but they're way above my budget.

I'm Mike.

Arghhh "will you lot behave yourselves" as he rummages down the back of the sofa.....😂

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast