Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post

There is no unforgiving HF response if the crossovers are properly implemented or the originals set at -1 (energy) and flat (rolloff) which is the true flat electrical setting (albeit, there is still a slight voltage lift from the autoformer). They can be very revealing but only if every other area is got right to provide that clarity. Some people mistakenly think that the revealing nature comes from using a lifted response but this is just boosting HF response to provide the detail and is painful ion the ears from the midrange upwards! The clarity comes from a balance of sorted cabinet design and sorted crossover. Then they can deliver in spades without any lift in response.

I've just re-set my own Devon energy and roll off controls as you've suggested and I now have speakers I can enjoy! Cheers for posting your advice. I'd always assumed the controls should have both been set at the neutral positions. No wonder I couldn't live with the treble response. Only taken me several years to suss this! Better late than never I suppose.

I was going to go down the valve amp route (hoping that would tame the treble) but no need now. However, my trusty old NAD 3130 is a bit past its sell by date so wondering what might constitute a good replacement.

Thanks again Paul (Reffc) for posting your advice here.

Mike