Newby here, so not sure of all the protocols yet, but here goes...

I love most of the sound of my Tannoy Devons, but because of the small-ish cabinet, the tuning of it seems to coincide with the lounge's room resonances, so room-boom is prominent rather that true low bass. The problem is, to correct this with the lovely HPD315 drivers I have, I'd need to build boxes as big, if not larger than Cheviots, and that's just not going to be domestically acceptable, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, my first dual-concentrics were a pair of Dorsets which I still have in storage (slightly larger boxes, 10" D-C with an ABR), and I was thinking that with a 10" driver, I could again make larger cabinets tuned low, in order to gain really satisfying bass, but they wouldn't need to be as big as an optimum cabinet for a 12.

However, I don't like the sound of the plastic coned, ferrite magnetted 2528 drivers from the Dorsets as much as the HPDs - somehow just less tingly and delicate. Pursuing this route, I thought I could have them re-coned with paper 2558 cones, build some larger cabinets and end up with something similar to Caernarvons. Only thing with that is that 2558 cones are as rare as hen's teeth, and having this done by Lockwood will cost £285, which is a lot for what is essentially an experiment.

Just wondered if anybody had any suggestions, possibly around improving the 2528 drivers' sound through crossover tweaks? Many thanks. Pete.