+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Devon Dilemma - the boxes are too small

I'm Pete.

Default My Devon Dilemma - the boxes are too small

Newby here, so not sure of all the protocols yet, but here goes...

I love most of the sound of my Tannoy Devons, but because of the small-ish cabinet, the tuning of it seems to coincide with the lounge's room resonances, so room-boom is prominent rather that true low bass. The problem is, to correct this with the lovely HPD315 drivers I have, I'd need to build boxes as big, if not larger than Cheviots, and that's just not going to be domestically acceptable, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, my first dual-concentrics were a pair of Dorsets which I still have in storage (slightly larger boxes, 10" D-C with an ABR), and I was thinking that with a 10" driver, I could again make larger cabinets tuned low, in order to gain really satisfying bass, but they wouldn't need to be as big as an optimum cabinet for a 12.

However, I don't like the sound of the plastic coned, ferrite magnetted 2528 drivers from the Dorsets as much as the HPDs - somehow just less tingly and delicate. Pursuing this route, I thought I could have them re-coned with paper 2558 cones, build some larger cabinets and end up with something similar to Caernarvons. Only thing with that is that 2558 cones are as rare as hen's teeth, and having this done by Lockwood will cost £285, which is a lot for what is essentially an experiment.

Just wondered if anybody had any suggestions, possibly around improving the 2528 drivers' sound through crossover tweaks? Many thanks. Pete.

I'm Dan.

Welcome Pete.....

We can headbang together im also in Bournemouth
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Alex.

My first Tannoy DC's were 12" Monitor Silvers in Chatsworth corner enclosures. I got these in the early 70's. Looked old fashioned to me, so I made some rectangular Chatsworth enclosures, not much difference in sound, but they looked more modern. I happened to have some Mordaunt Short MS 700 cabinets, these were quite a bit larger that either Chatsworth enclosures, put the 12" Silver DCs in these, and the resulting sound was really excellent.

About 5 years ago I managed to buy a pair of Devons. The cabinets were rough, the surrounds had been replaced quite well apart from not looking 100% cosmetically due to a little bit of excessive glue on the cones. I noticed some distortion in the treble of one unit, re-centred the tweeter voice coil and all was well.

I thought the bass a bit light, also slightly boomy. Adding a little extra damping inside the cabinets helped in tightening up the bass, but it's still a little light.

The original Chatsworth corner enclosures are still here. It would be nice to try the HPD315s in these larger cabinets, although a bit larger that these would probably be even better.
    Last edited by spendorman; 21-12-2016 at 15:18. Reason: typo
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

You can alter the port tuning on the Devon quite easily, to raise or lower the system resonance.

The 2528 driver will accept the SRM 10B paper cone. This is a conversion I'm planning, as I have a pair of Ascots knocking about. The drive units will hopefully end up in transmission line cabinets.

I don't see why a Cheviot sized box would be unacceptable for the HPD 315 units. Surely this would take up no more room than Devons on stands?

I assume you use stands? If not, that would most likely be the cause of your room matching issues.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I don't see why a Cheviot sized box would be unacceptable for the HPD 315 units. Surely this would take up no more room than Devons on stands?
    Thanks Geoff. Yes, my Devons are on stands, but although the same depth, Cheviots are 2" wider. That's mainly what would make them "too imposing" within the lounge. I'll have a look at modelling what would happen if I changed the port length. I suspect I'm at the edge of the envelope as far as trying to gain more LF extension is concerned though, due to the small cabinet volume.

For your conversion (2528 to 2558) do you have paper cones already? If so where can I get some?

Cheers.

I'm Alex.

The Chatsworth cabinet is not very wide.

Have you tried blocking up the port completely?
    Spendorman

I'm Pete.

Hi Alex, thanks. I've not tried blocking the port up, but I suppose it would be easy to try. An infinite baffle would theoretically give a faster bass roll-off, but more ultimate LF extension...

I've just googled Chatsworth and they're the same width as Devons, so that's a possibility too.

I'm Alex.

Actually, I think the infinite baffle will give a slower roll off, will go down lower. But less output at upper bass frequencies.
    Spendorman

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Alcock View Post
    For your conversion (2528 to 2558) do you have paper cones already? If so where can I get some?

Cheers.
    I have some. They were an ebay purchase. It took me quite a while to find a pair though.

Mine are mint, but second hand. They can be bought on ebay, at a price! You could contact the seller and ask if any used examples are available.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Actually, I think the infinite baffle will give a slower roll off, will go down lower. But less output at upper bass frequencies.
    That's quite likely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast