+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Devon Dilemma - the boxes are too small

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post

There is no unforgiving HF response if the crossovers are properly implemented or the originals set at -1 (energy) and flat (rolloff) which is the true flat electrical setting (albeit, there is still a slight voltage lift from the autoformer). They can be very revealing but only if every other area is got right to provide that clarity. Some people mistakenly think that the revealing nature comes from using a lifted response but this is just boosting HF response to provide the detail and is painful ion the ears from the midrange upwards! The clarity comes from a balance of sorted cabinet design and sorted crossover. Then they can deliver in spades without any lift in response.

I've just re-set my own Devon energy and roll off controls as you've suggested and I now have speakers I can enjoy! Cheers for posting your advice. I'd always assumed the controls should have both been set at the neutral positions. No wonder I couldn't live with the treble response. Only taken me several years to suss this! Better late than never I suppose.

I was going to go down the valve amp route (hoping that would tame the treble) but no need now. However, my trusty old NAD 3130 is a bit past its sell by date so wondering what might constitute a good replacement.

Thanks again Paul (Reffc) for posting your advice here.

Mike
    Mike.

I'm Mike.

I've also got a spare (working) set of crossovers for the Devons. Is it worth getting these rebuilt to see if they improve the sound?
    Mike.

I'm Alex.

3130 used as preamp

NADford STA25 III by A60man, on Flickr

NAD 303 by A60man, on Flickr

QuadNAD by A60man, on Flickr
    Spendorman

I'm Mike.

Hi Alex

I have thought about using the NAD as a pre, but probably not enough room for an additional amp. I have however got a little nuforce icon amp in the loft which I might try. It's a bit basic and needs a case but could work. I'd discounted it prior to discovering the correct speaker settings, so might be a winner!
    Mike.

danilo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spikeyfaz View Post
    I've also got a spare (working) set of crossovers for the Devons. Is it worth getting these rebuilt to see if they improve the sound?
    IF original the electro caps are likely 'off'. Replace them.
    This for Golds.. but HPDs are basically differing only in the Crossover packaging; http://www.44bx.com/tannoy/goldcrossovermods1.html

Replacing more bits will only thin your wallet... But Hey! it's Your wallet

I'm Alex.

I have not had my Devon HPD315 crossovers out, but was under the impression that they had non electrolytic capacitors. Is this so?
    Spendorman

I'm Jez.

A quick google reveals that these are "proper" Tannoys.... A mate briefly had some about that size with 10" plastic cones, still dual concentric though, I can't remember the model name but they were bloody awful! Talk about coloured...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Alex.

Devon's are certainly real Tannoys, HPD315 12" driver, early ones are basically development of the 12" Monitor Golds.
    Spendorman

danilo Guest

Actually the Harmon International 'Revision' of the Golds' design. The last Golds production run,
    of 12's, were first/last run to receive the Lovely Butyl surrounds rather than the Crap foam ones Harmon immediately decreed...
    throughout ALL of their recently purchased Speaker brands.
    Last Golds V similar to what was relabelled as HPDs. Similar T & S #'s Similar weight cones even
    sans the added bits of folded paper support.
    Royals (blue painted Cdn Market HPds) were the direct result of the (one time only) sale of 3000 pairs of Golds to the CBC.
    Harmon/Tannoy guessed they were into a whole new market... Surprise :-)
    Development is pure Brochure Babble... Devolution is more apt.

Small need to mention the widespread employee morale destruction the Takeover generated..resulting in HPDs becoming The worst built/assembled Tannoys on record.
    All this history from a friend who spent decades with the Ontario based distributor of Tannoy in North America.
    Apparently it wasn't a Happy time "Chez Tannoy". Certainly Not the official story either

Currently it's looking as a repeat performance..

Yes a pointless digression.. Bored with the Pollyanna Infomercial nonsense.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    A quick google reveals that these are "proper" Tannoys.... A mate briefly had some about that size with 10" plastic cones, still dual concentric though, I can't remember the model name but they were bloody awful! Talk about coloured...
    They may have been Ascots or another model from that particular range.

The plastic cone does not sound too bad actually, the 'tone' is unfamiliar to those used to regular pulp coned Tannoys, but the level of 'plastic cone sound' is moderate.

I have a pair of Ascots, they use a 10" version of the later ceramic magnet pepperpot dual concentric. The classic Tannoy imaging and mid/treble character is all there. They certainly sound far superior to early tulip waveguide types like the 9" driver DC1000 and 10" driver DC200, both with rather obvious plastic cone colourations. The DC200 is the worst sounding Tannoy dual I've heard.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123