+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: There are two Caimans...

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Dimitri,

Does the switchbox cause a break in the signal? If so, it's definitely affecting the sound. I wasn't referring to it in terms of interference generated - I was thinking more of the PC and Sky box there, which do cause interference.

However, adaptors of any description should be avoided at all costs unless they are absolutely necessary (i.e. there is no other option), as they cause significant sonic degradation. Also, all the other non-hi-fi 'gubbins' Alex has connected to his system won't be doing the performance of the hi-fi gear any favours.

I understand that Alex may have no other option, and so may have to do things this way, but I wanted to point out what was happening just in case he could avoid setting things up that way somehow

Marco.
    I don't see how there could be any interfering in optical signals... there's no electric connexion, anyway.
    A break in the signal ? Well, I don't think it works this way : I mean, at most you could get some jitter ? Well, a basic test could let us decide, still, I doubt there could be any "significant sonic degradation", especially with the dac's ASRC circuits.

I have an analog RCA switch (which is ultimately much worse than any digital switch) and I never noticed any "significant" degradation, if any. How could this be, anyway ? Provided that the switch is properly made, of course...
    I mean, how do studios work ? The have countless switches and use no point-to-point connexions, anyway !
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dimitri,

No idea of the 'whys or wherefores', but I've heard things like that degrade the sound before in my system a few times

Anyway, Alex can't hear it, so no matter

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    No idea of the 'whys or wherefores', but I've heard things like that degrade the sound before in my system a few times
    Marco, it's because I know you're not inventing things, that I'm trying to understand... It puzzles me, really.
    If one day you come to swim in my pool in Montpellier, we'll try several switches (if we have time, and if we remeber about it by then). Perhaps your ears are more sensitive than mine, who knows ?

Anyway, as you say, Alex has no problem, that's what matters.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

The important thing to remember in my particular circumstances is that all of these optically connected sources are A/V - so it is of less importance than say a CD player - I may well try leaving the main Toslink cable (into the Caiman) disconnected if it is likely to make a difference, but with my modest system I doubt I would hear that difference either.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Please keep the USB at least until I upgrade (from my TC-7520) to a Caiman. I would not be able to buy it unless it had USB.

The stock Caiman is not getting changed, so no need to worry.
    By the way, I have already sold and dispatched a couple of the twin TOSLINK Caiman, now known as the Caiman+. I hope to take some pics in the next few days.

I'm notAlone.

The Caiman+ will be on sale at your online shop, or it's on "special order" only, Stan ?
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

I'll put it up once I have taken some pics in the next few days.

What's involved in replacing the USB port with a Toslink receiver?
    I'm going to be doing it for this: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4933
    (I have the Toslink receivers by the way.)

Also, did you get my PM Stan?
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Arcam DIVA A70 QED Reference Audio Evolution & QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs
    BK Gemini 2 QED Performance Audio 1
    QED Qonduit Mains Conditioner QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Denon AH-D5000, Shure SE210, Goldring DR150

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I'll put it up once I have taken some pics in the next few days.
    Ok, thanks. As I keep updated a list of the available dacs, prices etc on a french forum, I'll have this done when you're ready.
    And I will update the preview, also.
    Dimitri.

George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast