+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: There are two Caimans...

Default There are two Caimans...

From my youth growing up in the Amazon jungle I remember that there are two main types of Caimans. The black caiman and the bespectacled caiman. This has got me thinking. Maybe the bespectacled caiman equivalent would be a twin TOSLINK input and twin coax input DAC just like the TC-7510? The TC-7510 input configuration is still often requested on the TC-7520 and Caiman. So what about TC-7510 inputs equivalent of the Caiman? i.e. replace the USB socket for an extra TOSLINK socket instead. I don't use USB on my main audio system, but I could do with an extra TOSLINK input for my TV.

I'm Gary.

Probably a go-er Stan I'd say?

PC Caiman Users are probably in the minority all in and being able to hook up Sky box, AND the PS3 (or whatever) is a good selling point?

Like the 7510 with Caiman sound quality!

BUT...

You WOULD want to avoid confusion with several different models being SIMILAR but not exactly the same...remember the 7510 MK3/4/5/6 confusion?

Just a thought..
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post

You WOULD want to avoid confusion with several different models being SIMILAR but not exactly the same...remember the 7510 MK3/4/5/6 confusion?
    Good point.
    Since the Caiman is hand assembled I might try a small run of twenty pieces of a twin optical/coax version in the new year.

Since it's hand assembled, maybe offer input options to buyers when ordering direct.

It would make sense to offer the inputs that the end users actually needed. Just lump all these under a SO version (special option) moniker. That way there'd only be two versions, standard and special option. On the back of the unit you could just say "SO: See data sheet", and include with each unit a data sheet with the serial number, detailing the special options included. This could cover not only differing inputs, but also any internal 'factory fitted' upgrades.

Only the first socket is interchangeable. So it is only possible to select between a USB or an extra TOSLINK during assembly.

Hi Stan

Curses Batman as someone said once I think - I would have had a twin TOS link instead of my USB one but probably would not have waited.

Nick
    Nick

UK - Technics SP10, EPA 500, AT33SA - Roonserver on i5 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet 1000 PRO CI - Magico S5 - Finite Elemente Wall Shelf

Spain - Roonserver on i7 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Ergo IX

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    Hi Stan

Curses Batman as someone said once I think - I would have had a twin TOS link instead of my USB one but probably would not have waited.

Nick
    Ditto, I'd love to have an optical input rather than a USB one.

What's involved in replacing the USB input with an optical one? Is it something that we might be capable of doing?

Maybe offer the 4th input as a module which can be swapped or replaced as needed, just a thought.
    James

My System:
    Beresford Caiman (Murata Regs, Elna Silmic II, Rubycon Caps, Op-Amp Bypass & OPA2132P) QED Performance Optical
    Arcam DIVA A70 QED Reference Audio Evolution & QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Dali Concept 6 (Custom Built Crossovers & Complete Re-Wire) QED XT Evolution & Airlocs
    BK Gemini 2 QED Performance Audio 1
    QED Qonduit Mains Conditioner QED Qonduit 1.5m Power Cord
    Denon AH-D5000, Shure SE210, Goldring DR150

My Projects:
    Caiman Re-Case Project

The option would be good.

Is a user swappable module a possibility, at least for some users?

I have sometimes missed the extra optical in, and have not used the USB in often.

Some DACs parallel Toslink and RCA on the same switched input, so that must be a possibility, but would require extra casework

An analogue input would add flexibility as a Standac makes a great "Preamp" if you only have digital sources.

Edit:

Ashley of AVI recomends this switch box which is dirt cheap

http://www.astarsolutions.co.uk/prod...02&source=list

Not an elegant solution, but would serve for temporary or occasional use.

I don't know if the would be an insertion loss.
    Last edited by Labarum; 15-12-2009 at 21:41.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I use a switchbox, as I need 3 optical inputs as well as the usb (PS3/XBOX360/SKY HD & PC) - so from my point of view, I wouldn't be interested - in fact it was the usb facility which drew me to the Caiman... but that's just me, probably in the minority.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Alex,

I use a switchbox, as I need 3 optical inputs as well as the usb (PS3/XBOX360/SKY HD & PC)...
    Just a quickie... But must your hi-fi system be hooked up to all that other 'paraphernalia', mate? It'll definitely not be doing the performance of your system any favours at all.

Switchboxes, and the associated noise generated by PCs and SKY boxes will definitely interfere with your system. Is there no way you can isolate your 2-channel set-up from the rest and simplify the set-up?

If you can, trust me, it will pay serious sonic dividends!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast