+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Waiting for the Truth

I'm James.

There is no Truth, engineers piss about with recordings,even live stuff is messed about with, no recorded stuff is the Truth, ppprrf,,,.
    Last edited by Pieoftheday; 09-03-2017 at 20:47.
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm gordan.

ah, i was wondering for weeks what is the truth since i noticed it in adrian's signature quite some time ago

totally familiar with his findings - i had the same experience first time when i brought a myth audio LDR thing into my system, some 5 years ago

at the that time i had MFA TVC - it killed it on accounts of transparency and detail to my total disbelief - plus it sounded punchier and more dynamic

i sold MFA TVC in no time

by the time i started noticing hardness i didn't hear before. could be it was my system but it made me wondering how it would sound if it would have a good tube buffers instead of JFETs it had

i could never get the designer to custom make one for me

eventually i sold it in anticipation of an upgraded version and got slagle AVC as a stop gap

i'm still with it. the upgraded version has never showed up and i kinda liked what slagle thing do. i've heard better preamps and even more detailed TVCs but it's just right for what it costs.

the above myth LDR would be just fckn phenomenal with a DHT buffer or similar around 45 or 4P1L but who's gonna built it? i could only imagine what musicality and transparency such a device could have.

as for the salvatore's site, you really need to be very pretentious to run it like that. there's hundred devices out there he hasn't heard that would end selected. it is better not to be over excited.

as for slagle AVCs, i owned 3 and heard 2 more in my life. all 5 sounded different, depending on the implementation. the best is 1 input 1 output, this is the winner. the worst was the most complicated bent audio tap-x, especially through buffers (shocking bad!).

last but not least, just wondering how no one notices bloody obvious - photo cells ARE acting as resistors in this device, you can call it what you like but this is a buffered, resistive volume control. not that a definition matters so much but let's call it straight.
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Eugene.

I stumbled accidently on this thread and want to share my story about the Truth!

As a frequent visitor of Audiocircle I read much about the Tortuga LDR passive preamp and was seriously considering buying it.
    Then someone mentioned about the Truth preamp and I look further into it. Read also the Salvatore’s review and took the plunge and ordered it.

December last year I was the very happy owner of this very remarkable preamp. I could hear the potential but there was a problem with this preamp, so I thought. And as mentioned what a good guy Ed Schilling is, he ask me to return it to him. He couldn’t find any faults but as promised he made me a brand new one. Ed also strongly recommended me to look into my fancy cables and swap these with “common” cables.
    I had a pair Sommer Albedo cable lying around and used it between the dac and the Thruth.
    Wow what a day and night difference it made. I’m in this hobby for about 35 years and for the first time I heard such a device that is not excelling in some areas but it is giving the whole package and makes you hear music like it was meant to be.

Adrian has mentioned his experiences with the Truth in several posts and this mirrors exactly what I have been hearing.

I have told Ed that the Truth is going nowhere and I don’t think I will ever part of it.

This is not the first time I bought a device without hearing it. The Tram MK2 preamp of Thorsten Loesch I bought also based on experiences of owners/users and was very happy with it. But it looks like this Tram mk2 will need another home.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________

TT: Technics SL1000 with Dynavector Dv505 arm and Acutex m312str, Lenco L75 in heavy Birch plinth with a Mission arm and Acutex 315str lpm, ; digital: Denon dvd3310, Altmann BYOB Dac from Asus ROG GL752VW and Rednet 3, Tube MM phonopre
    Amplification: Preamps: The Truth and Tram mk2 DHT; poweramps: Sphinx project 14 and 16, Wolcott Presence mono's and modified Conrad Johnson MV75
    Loudspeakers: Apogee Full Range (fully restored), Scintilla, Diva
    Cables/stands: Cardas golden reference and cross ic's, KCI silkworms ic's, Klotz MC5000, Sommer Albedo, Yannis Tome 423.5 phonocable with eichmann pure harmony and Furutech CF plugs, Audioquest Diamond Ethernet cable, Siltech power cables, MIT ic's, Reality speakercables, Isotek Orion and Titan mains conditioners

I'm Adrian.

Thanks for sharing! Out of curiosity what was the original problem?
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Eugene.

There was a cracking/thumping sound when turning up the volume. But when I connected to another input in the Truth this cracking/thumping sound was gone but came the next day back.
    It seems to be a cable matching problem. According to Ed I was the only one having this problem.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

TT: Technics SL1000 with Dynavector Dv505 arm and Acutex m312str, Lenco L75 in heavy Birch plinth with a Mission arm and Acutex 315str lpm, ; digital: Denon dvd3310, Altmann BYOB Dac from Asus ROG GL752VW and Rednet 3, Tube MM phonopre
    Amplification: Preamps: The Truth and Tram mk2 DHT; poweramps: Sphinx project 14 and 16, Wolcott Presence mono's and modified Conrad Johnson MV75
    Loudspeakers: Apogee Full Range (fully restored), Scintilla, Diva
    Cables/stands: Cardas golden reference and cross ic's, KCI silkworms ic's, Klotz MC5000, Sommer Albedo, Yannis Tome 423.5 phonocable with eichmann pure harmony and Furutech CF plugs, Audioquest Diamond Ethernet cable, Siltech power cables, MIT ic's, Reality speakercables, Isotek Orion and Titan mains conditioners

I'm Adrian.

It's weird, as it's supposed to be impervious to driving long cables, so weird that it has a problem with cable types. I have a slightly similar problem when I turn the volume up almost to the limit I get a buzzing - Ed says it's the led overloading the photocell and that it probably shifted in transit (not surprising considering the 3 transatlantic flights it took) and that I need to sightly tilt the led a little. Im gonna do it in the next week when I have time as it's not really an issue.

The transparency is astonishing on it - the different character of a cable or SRA changes are so obvious. I'm currently juggling with interconnects...
    Adey
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    last but not least, just wondering how no one notices bloody obvious - photo cells ARE acting as resistors in this device, you can call it what you like but this is a buffered, resistive volume control. not that a definition matters so much but let's call it straight.
    What makes you think no one noticed? As you say, it's bloody obvious.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    ah, i was wondering for weeks what is the truth since i noticed it in adrian's signature quite some time ago

totally familiar with his findings - i had the same experience first time when i brought a myth audio LDR thing into my system, some 5 years ago

at the that time i had MFA TVC - it killed it on accounts of transparency and detail to my total disbelief - plus it sounded punchier and more dynamic

i sold MFA TVC in no time

by the time i started noticing hardness i didn't hear before. could be it was my system but it made me wondering how it would sound if it would have a good tube buffers instead of JFETs it had

i could never get the designer to custom make one for me

eventually i sold it in anticipation of an upgraded version and got slagle AVC as a stop gap

i'm still with it. the upgraded version has never showed up and i kinda liked what slagle thing do. i've heard better preamps and even more detailed TVCs but it's just right for what it costs.

the above myth LDR would be just fckn phenomenal with a DHT buffer or similar around 45 or 4P1L but who's gonna built it? i could only imagine what musicality and transparency such a device could have.

as for the salvatore's site, you really need to be very pretentious to run it like that. there's hundred devices out there he hasn't heard that would end selected. it is better not to be over excited.

as for slagle AVCs, i owned 3 and heard 2 more in my life. all 5 sounded different, depending on the implementation. the best is 1 input 1 output, this is the winner. the worst was the most complicated bent audio tap-x, especially through buffers (shocking bad!).

The problem with LDR's is that they are not linear and measure as so.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    The problem with LDR's is that they are not linear and measure as so.
    Yes, I agree. The conventional potentiometer volume control is not a perfect device but going over the LDRs and lights seems to me a bizzare way to address them.

I'm Eugene.

Hi Adrian, like to see the new front and buttons on the Truth. Pictures?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast