+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Waiting for the Truth

I'm Martin.

Yeah, santa's a judgemental mo fo
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

twice i had to contact parcelforce, who are kind of the post office, re a missing parcel from abroad. they said they had contacted me about customs charges but hadnt. they eventually admitted their software was faulty and had been for some time but it had not been fixed. If I hadnt I might not have got it. I had to go to other side of edinburgh to pay them too and pick it up myself. Might be worth the contacting of the company delivering
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Adrian.

The same happened with this. When they finally sent me the paperwork last Wednesday I had until Saturday before they returned it to the US.

I sent the paperwork by 24hour express courier which was delivered to Customs Thursday evening. Whether or not they opened the paperwork and processed it before the Saturday cut off I have no idea but doubt it - monkeys have a hard time opening envelopes!

I will check tomorrow but am not expecting good news.

My other Christmas presents likewise haven't arrived, a Clear Audio Weight Watcher from Germany - DHL say it arrived in Madrid 1st December - Spain says it's still in the air (seriously). The seller, from whom I've bought about 700€ of albums won't accept it's lost and is forcing me to wait and go through the PayPal claims process. Won't buy from him again.

Likewise 2 albums from Germany - though only a week late, well when they arrive!

I did at least receive my isolda cables but then no correos/monkey involvement!

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Adrian.

Still waiting. Apparently I have a new name Marcos Jimenez Gonzales - funny, that's not what's on my birth certificate...

My lawyer is now involved though I doubt chimpanzees understand the law.

Adey

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Mike.

I remember when I lived in Spain I became fluent in shall we say colourful metaphors 1st, i remember waiting for the guy to turn up from Ono to sort out the cable TV, waited all day for him, he did eventually turn up 2 weeks later, it seems in Spain the further south you go the less importance they place on time.

Hope it turnes up soon Adey, i feel your pain brother.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Adrian.

Let's not go there. Today 2 calls - me first - the problem is I'm not British apparently, I'm Spanish and my surname is Gonzalez. WTF
    Also the person who signed for the paperwork at their office (delivered by their own courier) doesn't exist, he left last year. WTF

Call 2 by my lawyer - your client hasn't submitted paperwork and must complete it online.

Unfortunately the webpage doesn't work - and as explained to them twice the glitch is that they have put an invalid character in my address which cannot be changed by me. So message says error invalid character ' in address. Their response - no, I'm imagining the error message, even though they've been sent screengrabs by my lawyer.

That's today!

I really don't think I should voice my opinion of spanish civil servants here....
    Adey

Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

After 3 months of waiting and 3 trips across the Atlantic thanks to the monkeys at Spanish customs the Truth is finally in my system.

Will post some pics later but this thing sure won't win any beauty competition and I've instructed my chippie to make it a nice wooden sleeve to match the Vida and ordered a laser etched aluminium fascia.

Right now it's being fed by the lovely Allaerts cart and replaces the Slagle Autoformer Volume control.

I'll give a full review after the weekend and after more hours of vinyl. But first impressions...

The Slagle is recognised as being sonically transparent and better than S&B or any other transformer based volume - it's the only 'passive' to be awarded Class A - well it now has a rival.

After a few hours listening I was struck by the increased high frequency resolution. Spaciousness by the bucket load. Soundstage opened up and increased in depth in a way I hadn't expected - layering and separation right at the farthest and deepest corners of the stage were incredibly well resolved. Very very nice.

But I also detected a lack of warmth in the mid - im not sure whether this is just highlighting a colouration in the Slagle or not and will experiment more over the weekend.

So, initial impressions... Looks like something a kid would knock up in the garage, sounds cleaner than even the mighty Slagles.
    Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Brian.

I've been following this thread with interest Adey . I'm glad you have it a last Can we have a picture of this much travelled and elusive ugly duckling before you '' beautify '' it . Hope it's doing the business otherwise
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Adrian.

Will snap a few pics this afternoon. The difference in ultra resolution of fine details was the first thing that struck me as I was working on something and not in my usual listening seat. It was very apparent. When I finally sat down I realised the soundstage had changed profoundly. Listening to FSOL Environments 2 details previously tizzy and unfocused became distinct percussive sounds suspended in a very deep soundstage that just hadn't been there before even with the Slagle. Tonight I'll spin some jazz and female vocals for a better more rounded impression.

I have to say that on the face of it the $1000 price tag seems ridiculously high for something in a $25 enclosure and plastic knobs - but whatever the technology inside (it isn't LDR, but uses light in a different way) for transparency at least, it beats the current champ. And that, I guess, is worth the hefty price tag. Put it into a beautifully styled case like the Vida and it could retail at 4 times the price - so I guess that makes it a bargain, ugly or not.

Will update.

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps

I'm Adrian.

Trying to take a photo of a black box on a black rack with a black background is impossible lol but I'll try in the morning when there's more light.

Okay - so I've been spinning FSOL again (just because it's like hearing them for the first time with the Truth), some Yello, Malia (superb singer) and Krall.

In a word - astonishing, with a slight caveat.

The amount of detail this thing let's through is indeed astonishing - things I never knew existed have suddenly appeared in tracks im very familiar with. And it isn't subtle - it's every single note.... which has had me really scratching my head and asking myself how - considering the level of the cart I've been living with (Allaerts) and the Vida phonostage feeding the Slagle which I've never heard beaten in terms of resolution, is it possible?

Im stumped as to how to be honest. It's as though a graphic Equaliser has been applied to lift out each frequency band and a cushion of air placed between each note. Weird and truly amazing.

To quantify the change id put it up there with changing from my old diy phono stage (50£) to the Longdog Audio I bought from Tom (2k retail). Yes, that much of a difference.

Vocal lines are utterly intelligible no matter view deep in the mix, Krall's lips can be heard forming each syllable, each time she wets them sightly - it's utterly bizarre that it was there and I haven't heard it until now - and again this isn't the odd moment, it's there always.

Double bass has a new dimension, the sound of fingertips gliding over strings and not merely the thwack and pluck of strings, is now present.

Electronica is a revelation in terms of detail and spatial trickery. With synthesised, just as with natural, instruments finding new definition from the first leading edge to the decay.

So what's the caveat, the catch? It's changed the character of my system a little - from a slightly soft focus (though I never realised it) to an ultra resolution system that has lost a little warmth. But it's marginal and just slightly different. This is easily remedied I think by swapping over to the fleshier Miyajima or by swapping interconnects which are currently Cardas Neutral Reference. I might try DNM as they have a slight warmth.

The Hashimoto SUT is due next week (customs again....) And this might also change the flavour a little as it's known to be a little warm.

Don't believe that valves are intrinsically warm and veiled, they don't have to be - mine certainly aren't!

Personally I think that alongside the Allaerts this is the best HiFi purchase I've made in quite a while.

The name seems justified - the Truth...... more like Voodoo!
    Adey

In perpetual pursuit.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    The Truth linestage
    Cary 805c SET amps