+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new computer

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    Hi Andre

I disagree, I am a self employed IT consultant and support engineer, I support repair and set up networks and PC's for companies and individuals.

I use a MacBook Pro as does my business partner and my GF.

I am really glad that the majority of people think the same way as you as if they didn't I would be out of a job.

Nick
    both companies that make products to use with there own components/software & no one elses! Sounds the same to me..

I'm Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    both companies that make products to use with there own components/software & no one elses! Sounds the same to me..
    I see your point, but with computers, I feel, that's what makes them better.

Anyway, macs work with tons of 3rd party software.
    Lee

Independent Apple tech support guy at Macnology

Gear: iMac > ALAC > Airport Express > Beresford Caiman DAC > Mark Grant IC > Audiolab 8000S > Chord Rumour Speaker Cable > Dynaudio Audience 42 Speakers > Grado SR80 Headphones

Vinyl: 90's Rega Planar 2, RB250, Bias Cart, Rega Fono Mini

Last.fm

I'm notAlone.

Macs are perfect for everyday use.
    They are just about 3 times the price of another laptop with the same CPU/HD/GPU.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

You won't go wrong with a Vaio - or a Lenovo (Previously IBM) laptop, and Windows 7 - though for home use, I haven't had a problem with Vista (*Home Premium)
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Ahhh, let the rabid Mac vs. Windows mud-slinging begin....... It's always the same when somebody mentions they use a Mac, somebody else says they're rubbish (or the other way round, to be fair). The best way to cut through the BS is to ask the ones slinging the mud when was the last time they actually spent any time using a Mac? 99% of the time they haven't!

I use PC's during the day for work, I learned to use PC's, y'know, from DOS 5, 6, Windows 3.11, 95, 98, 2k, XP. Through choice I carry a Mac, and have done for the 6 years. So I'm actually, officially, a Switcher. During that time all my family and many friends have also switched to using Macs. None of them need any real technical support, none of them have any problems (except my other half's HDD crash, and I had some problems with my old 17", but it had taken a hammering!) and all of them are smitten with their machines.

At the end of the day it's horses for courses, if you want a PC then buy one, if you want a Mac, then that's cool too. Just have fun and be productive with it.

There's plenty of deals around for PC's, but remember, as with all things, you get what you pay for. If you want a decent PC, I'd agree that you won't go wrong with a Lenovo.
    Sean.

My Gear: Bit of a Quad fanboy , so...... Quad CDP99-CDP2, Technics SL1210 MK3D, Standard arm, Sumiko Headshell, Denon DL-103R cartridge, Blu-Tak on the counterweight. Denon TU-180DAB Tuner. Apple Airport Express - Optical out into the Quad CDP. Quad 99 Pre - 909 Power Amp. PMC OB1's. Chord Epic Twin speaker cables, Wyrewizard and Merlin interconnects.

HI John

Check out this site which I use from time to time http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/

Nick
    Nick

UK - Technics SP10, EPA 500, AT33SA - Roonserver on i5 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet 1000 PRO CI - Magico S5 - Finite Elemente Wall Shelf

Spain - Roonserver on i7 NUC running Windows 10 Pro - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Ergo IX

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Its a shame there is not many alternative's to using Window's ' i was talking to the techie at work the other day ' he hates Window's with a passion and uses a version of Linux .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Richard.

Vista was an absolute dogs dinner. The original project for Vista was called 'Longhorn' and promised loads of very nice touches, the vast majority of which got dropped because the developers were way behind with the release, so the whole thing just ended up being a cobbled together mess which ran dog slow even on the fastest hardware and was nothing but trouble.

I'm still struggling to see what it is in Windows 7 which is better than XP. 7 is a BIG improvement on Vista but to my eyes it looks like Vista's shiny interface with XP's internals. Still, it seems to have worked considering the amount of people who are saying that Windows 7 is amazing - They seem to have completely forgotten XP, and just what is it they could do with 7 that they couldn't do with XP? I have used all three of these OSs in a media centre PC and I stuck with XP in the end as it run faster and had less driver issues with my hardware.

Macs are not expensive. Cost of purchase may be more expensive, but cost of ownership is a much fairer measure. I've owned Macs for almost 4 years now and they're all working as well as the day they were bought. The PCs on the other hand have come and gone - failed, run dog slow, needed re-installing, sucked up hours of my time over something piffling and frustrating, had unsupported hardware after OS 'upgrades', made too much noise (even for a so called 'quiet' PC), run too hot, crashed to the point of being on the verge of being thrown out of the window. The list is endless.

Just don't get me started on building a 'Media Centre PC'. The only conclusion is: Buy a Mac.
    Rich

I'm notAlone.

Windows 7 uses Vista internals...
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Ralph.

Recently my, Vista, laptop stopped charging, still in warranty (just) so sent it off for repair. While away for a week went back to old XP lappy, bloody marvelous by comparison so bought the upgrade to 7 on return of new computer. It's a total PITA having to spend an extra £60 just to get back to where you were at so to speak but well worth it in performance terms. Wouldn't it be nice if MS made Win 7 free for all existing Vista users just to compensate for selling everyone one a pup in the first place, fat chance.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast