+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ortofon Cadenza Bronze. Hmm............?

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    As for "pushing watts into power amps...", er, really? A power amp's input terminals should be consuming a 1/10th of a milliwatt, absolute tops.
    A figure of speech, perhaps I expressed myself poorly.

I was trying to convey that most of Musical Fidelity's power amps are not lacking when it comes to output, 255 W per Channel into 8 Ohms in this case. Forgive my levity. Not a case of literally "pushing watts into power amps..."
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    .....Or maybe it's an issue with the arm's effective mass. You try a quick test of adding some mass to the headshell to lower the resonant frequency of the arm/cartridge combination to see if that gives you more of the sound you're after.
    That's another option, thanks Andrew. I'll get into the calcs again (haven't done that for a while) and see where it lies. All too easy to overlook some of the obvious options when you get too deep into this.
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

RothwellAudio Guest

Yes, maybe I was being a bit pedantic.
    Anyway, lack of gain isn't really the problem in this instance.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I have the Cadenza black and ST80SE SUT, a very fine combination. You can probably buy better but at a price.
    Have you ever heard the Cadenza Black, or a similar Ortofon through other SUTs? A SUT using Hashimoto HM-3, or even better HM-7 transformers would (IME) humiliate the ST-80SE. I made the mistake of selling a plain little Bob's Devices Cinemag SUT in favour of a new and unheard ST-80SE, to use with a Kontrapunkt B which is not dissimilar to your cartridge in most respects. A brief audition in my system of Martin T's Choir Audio SUT (fitted with HM-7s) was enough to confirm my mistake. The Choir Audio SUT was too much money, so when an Audio Note AN-S3H came my way at a good price, I bought it and that's what I still use; at least until I can get a SUT with HM-7s inside!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Ammonite Acoustics View Post
    A SUT using Hashimoto HM-3, or even better HM-7 transformers would (IME) humiliate the ST-80SE.
    I'm not really into humiliation, not my sort of thing.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Blake.

Lots of interesting suggestions. Arm and cartridge should be a pretty decent matchup.

No question that break-in of cartridge will be important as well. Most that I've used tend to be a bit strident well into the 50 hour mark, some longer.

Another factor to consider is the Replicant stylus. I've used Peter Ledermann's OCL stylus in the past, which very closely resembles (it is almost identical to the Replicant) the Replicant and it was, without question, the most difficult stylus to properly set up and optimize. Unless all the factors (alignment, azimuth, VTA/SRA and VTF) are pretty much absolutely perfect that stylus can sound thin and aggressive in my experience. The windows/ranges for all the parameters of proper set up with this stylus seem to be much tighter than with other stylus profiles, so nailing the setup can be quite time consuming.

Probably best to ball park it with initial set up and do your best to get it sounding decent and not worry too much and then come back after 50 hours or so and really fine tune at that time. Extremely small adjustments to SRA and VTF can result in dramatically improved sound quality with that stylus and the azimuth and alignment need to be spot on.

I'm Hugo.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I'm not really into humiliation, not my sort of thing.
    My apologies - incautious wording that could have come across better

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    Lots of interesting suggestions. Arm and cartridge should be a pretty decent matchup.

No question that break-in of cartridge will be important as well. Most that I've used tend to be a bit strident well into the 50 hour mark, some longer.

Another factor to consider is the Replicant stylus. I've used Peter Ledermann's OCL stylus in the past, which very closely resembles (it is almost identical to the Replicant) the Replicant and it was, without question, the most difficult stylus to properly set up and optimize. Unless all the factors (alignment, azimuth, VTA/SRA and VTF) are pretty much absolutely perfect that stylus can sound thin and aggressive in my experience. The windows/ranges for all the parameters of proper set up with this stylus seem to be much tighter than with other stylus profiles, so nailing the setup can be quite time consuming.

Probably best to ball park it with initial set up and do your best to get it sounding decent and not worry too much and then come back after 50 hours or so and really fine tune at that time. Extremely small adjustments to SRA and VTF can result in dramatically improved sound quality with that stylus and the azimuth and alignment need to be spot on.
    Best advice ever! - (from 'Another factor .....' )

I'm Clive.

In my opinion the Cadenza Bronze can rock. I'm speaking from experience from running one for over a year before upgrading to a Cadenza Black.
    Interestingly my own Bronze had to go back as the cantilever was slightly askew and was replaced by Henley Designs who are Ortofon's UK distributer without any fuss.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123