Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Profiting from forum sales

I'm jamie.

yep,i pm'd him before he bought it to say dont bother its going to go bang.
    might be best now to let it rest.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Oh come on You knew EXACTLY what you were buying as you discussed it well enough before making the journey to collect it and at the time, I believe you were offered the same amount in friendly terms to pass it back to the maker, so that he could put it out of its misery (I'd have had it myself but just don't have the funds to spare (I had enough amps as it was)). You carried on, confirmed it was well blown, botched in a kind-of 'repair' as shown in the pics you provided and ended up selling it to someone? on eBay, who may well try to cannibalise another amp for parts in the hope of getting it to work again after a fashion.

NOBODY's nose is clean on this one imo, but I honestly don't think you were ignorant of the history of this unit when you bought it.
    I read Alcarmichael's post differently. Surely it wasn't the condition of the amp but the personality of the maker he was referring to. This is evidenced by his sentence: "I did not realise what I was getting myself into initially, but I soon discovered that the creator of the amplifier is one of the most disgusting human beings I've ever met in the Audio community".

Also why was it not ok for Alex to buy this amp, yet it would have been OK for DSJR to do so if he had the funds or space?

I'm Grant.

Yup, this sale is not really anything to do with this thread ime. As i remember it was discussed and as it was clearly sold as spares repairs, it was ok. If someone then resold it on ebay, then such is life.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

TheMooN Guest

It was my understanding that whilst discussion of NVA equipment is quite acceptable under the AUP ! However it was also my understanding that any and all reference or comment upon the proprietor of that company would not be tolerated and deleted forthwith. I would like to inquire why the rather unpleasant and unnecessary Ad Hominem comments made in post #65 have been allowed to remain ?

For my part I care not one fig about that particular company nor its proprietor , however I am uncomfortable being a member of a forum where it's AUP and friendly ethos are selectively disregarded where and when it suits personal agenda.

I'm Steve.

Yes, I was wondering about that too.
    Seems like we have one rule for.....
    The whole episode with the TSS seems like gigantic wind-up, and no doubt it will resurface, when the wind-up merchants want to have another pop at RD.
    Anyway I bear no one on here any ill feeling but its time for a parting of the ways.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    It was my understanding that whilst discussion of NVA equipment is quite acceptable under the AUP ! However it was also my understanding that any and all reference or comment upon the proprietor of that company would not be tolerated and deleted forthwith. I would like to inquire why the rather unpleasant and unnecessary Ad Hominem comments made in post #65 have been allowed to remain ?

For my part I care not one fig about that particular company nor its proprietor , however I am uncomfortable being a member of a forum where it's AUP and friendly ethos are selectively disregarded where and when it suits personal agenda.
    Hi Roger,

Thanks for your comments. A couple of things.... Firstly, we don't have an AUP, but rather an ethos [please see here for details: http://theartofsound.net/forum/forum...?18-Our-Ethos], so there are no 'black and white' rules here as such, other than on special occasions. Therefore, apart from where something is clearly stated as a rule, it's more about the standards of behaviour we adhere to here as members.

Alan did not refer to the banned person in question directly by his name, but simply as "the creator of this amplifier", therefore as such he was not breaking any rules. It would be different if he had named him as "RD" or "Richard Dunn", both of which would have resulted in the post being removed under the rules you're referring to. Non-specific/and or indirect/oblique references to such are allowed for those who may understand and appreciate them.

It should also be noted (and I've stated this many times before, and is IMPORTANT) that due to the nature of the personal abuse I have to endure on an almost daily basis from the person in question and/or his cronies on his 'forum', I reserve the right, when an appropriate opportunity arises, to have a pop back (largely because I find it cathartic), which is what I did, on post #67, after Alan made his comments.

This only happens *very occasionally*, and indeed, unlike on said forum in question, we don't have a dedicated section of AoS that personally insults and abuses everyone we don't like or who don't conform to our 'world view', therefore we can hardly be accused of instigating any unpleasantness.

So, you either accept that or you don't. It's entirely your decision whether you wish to continue contributing here under those conditions, but until the person in question ceases his unjustified campaign of harassment and abuse, and lets bygones be bygones, I will *occasionally* respond here in the way I see fit.

The same also applies to Steve, and Steve you would do well to look at the contents of the thread 'elsewhere' where you've been critical of AoS, and ask yourself who the main aggressor is in all of this and who is repeatedly continuing the ill-feeling, before making accusations of "bullying" or apportioning blame to people here, as if we were the only ones guilty of creating unpleasantness.

I've said on many occasions before that I would end all this stuff now, between the owner of NVA and I/AoS, if a certain thread elsewhere were deleted and no further derogatory remarks were made by him towards AoS and me, but said person is not remotely interested in that, and instead is adamant in continuing his stupid 'war', so consider that before you apportion blame to anyone for the existence of this situation.

I have far better things to do with my time than continue perpetrating ill-feeling, based on age-old grudges over stuff that happened YEARS ago, but it appears he doesn't! The same also applies to the serial 'banees' from AoS and elsewhere, who populate said 'banned from being mentioned forum', and refuse to STFU, move on and GET A LIFE

However, something else I would say before I lock this thread, as it has now served its purpose, is that it would be nice if people refrained from concerning themselves with forum politics and that which has nothing whatsoever to do with them [i.e. disagreements with individuals and forums elsewhere], and concentrate instead on posting SOLELY about hi-fi, music and permitted off-topic subjects, as becoming embroiled in the former is only liable at some point to end badly, especially for those who are determined to be continually critical of our decisions.

Ok, should anyone wish to discuss matters further, or comment on anything I have written, you are welcome to do so via PM, either to myself or one of the mods. Cheers

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678