Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Profiting from forum sales

I'm Mike.

Default Profiting from forum sales

I think we should start a list of sellers who bought their hifi gear prior to the recession, lets say we go back through prices to 1970 and ban all the ones who sold something for more than they paid for it, the profiteering so and so's.

AVForums, one of the bigger ones on the net used to have a no profiteering rule, it has now been dropped.

If anyone manages to buy something from anywhere and sell it here for a profit then good luck to them, it is surely only worth what the buyer is willing to pay.

All this thread is going to do is open up a whole can of worms, cause friction and get people slapped wrists.

If you know someone is selling something for more than they paid for it, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT

Now where's that Garrard 301 TT my granpappy bought for 10 shillings, I really must get it on the sale pages, I better not ask more than 50p, can I add postage to that I wonder?

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    I think we should start a list of sellers who bought their hifi gear prior to the recession, lets say we go back through prices to 1970 and ban all the ones who sold something for more than they paid for it, the profiteering so and so's.

AVForums, one of the bigger ones on the net used to have a no profiteering rule, it has now been dropped.

Now where's that Garrard 301 TT my granpappy bought for 10 shillings, I really must get it on the sale pages, I better not ask more than 50p, can I add postage to that I wonder?
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm chris.

I've no idea if I am on Lawrence's 'watch list' but am conscious I've bought and sold a fair bit of kit over last year or so ---- this is mainly because I have not been working and so have had a fair amount of time to get to hear and play with hifi that I've always enjoyed -- I've made on some and lost on others as is usual, I tend to agree with the view that there is a fair/right price for most items and most members on here and savvy but perhaps more importantly do not have the time or inclination to sit on eBay and look for 'cheapies' --- if someone does and then sells them on here for an ok price that no one is forced to buy then I think the majority benefit but not sure it would be a 'business model' likely to survive longterm (!) ..... I confess I might be feeling paranoid as I bought some speakers recently and have them for sale on here at a 'higher' price if you believe the sold price on ebay ---- in this example there was some other gear involved too but both parties (i.e. me too!) objects to eBay fees so chat direct on that ... where I do have some sympathy though is if someone is consistently buying on here aiming only to make a profit ( and not offering item back on here at a lower price aswell ) but again it suits many to have the ease of just getting the funds they want for some gear they no longer need without all the hassle of eBay et al ...... as ever its a grey area imho unless its incredibly blatant but there are box swappers out there ( I'm one for sure although trying to temper it a bit ) and personally I have really enjoyed hearing lots of kit in a relatively short space of time, I've discovered Croft as a result and other brands and got to hear a lot of tube gear I wouldn't have ..... tbh i find the idea that 'activity' is being monitored by other members a bit creepy if i'm honest -- I've had time on my hands but not that much time ---- but one thing I have learnt to my cost is that there are lots of ongoing and past issues and disagreements I was blissfully unaware of, and I for one, preferred not knowing !

I'm Mike.

Aye you've been fingered as we used to say in the Fire Service, and the reply was always "lucky lucky bastard'

Lol 😁

Edit: don't worry I certainly don't think the op refers to you, and I don't really care it's a none issue as far as I'm concerned

I'm Alex.

Wink

I've just stumbled upon this thread and had to read all of it to see if I appeared. Of course, it was inevitable. I bought the NVA TSS out of curiosity, it's a stunning looking piece of equipment. I did not realise what I was getting myself into initially but I soon discovered that the creator of this amplifier is one of the most disgusting human beings I've ever met in the audio community.

If you want to read more about this you'll find the thread I'm involved in on his forum with ease.

I acted extremely fairly, I don't really see how anyone could've been any fairer in my situation. However it transpired that he is an enormous bell end. Hence when the amp blew up (I later learnt that this was my fault when I also blew the fuse on my Croft series 7) I listed the NVA on eBay with the hope that it would annoy him, seemingly this worked a treat.

The sizeable profit I made was an added bonus but not something I expected at all. I'm still a little bemused why anyone would pay such a large amount for a broken amplifier. I wouldn't have paid the £75 for it I paid if it was broken when I collected it.

I could go on but I needn't, my conscience is clear.

I've sold equipment to several people in this very thread, I'm certain they're happy and I most certainly didn't make any profit.

Merry 27th of December

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by alcarmichael View Post
    I've just stumbled upon this thread and had to read all of it to see if I appeared. Of course, it was inevitable. I bought the NVA TSS out of curiosity, it's a stunning looking piece of equipment. I did not realise what I was getting myself into initially but I soon discovered that the creator of this amplifier is one of the most disgusting human beings I've ever met in the audio community.

If you want to read more about this you'll find the thread I'm involved in on his forum with ease.

I acted extremely fairly, I don't really see how anyone could've been any fairer in my situation. However it transpired that he is an enormous bell end. Hence when the amp blew up (I later learnt that this was my fault when I also blew the fuse on my Croft series 7) I listed the NVA on eBay with the hope that it would annoy him, seemingly this worked a treat.

The sizeable profit I made was an added bonus but not something I expected at all. I'm still a little bemused why anyone would pay such a large amount for a broken amplifier. I wouldn't have paid the £75 for it I paid if it was broken when I collected it.

I've sold equipment to several people in this very thread, I'm certain they're happy and I most certainly didn't make any profit.

Merry 27th of December
    Even though the amp wasn't mine I was somehow involved in the sale, Alex is a good man indeed, but I'm still waiting for my back hand slice of the profits
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I did not realise what I was getting myself into initially but I soon discovered that the creator of this amplifier is one of the most disgusting human beings I've ever met in the audio community.
    Your succinct assessment of the human character is commendable

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
    Even though the amp wasn't mine I was somehow involved in the sale, Alex is a good man indeed, but I'm still waiting for my back hand slice of the profits
    The cheque was enclosed in your Christmas card mate

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    I have noticed 2 suspects , I contacted Marco re one , Nothing done about it
    Sorry, Al, I don't remember anything about this. Perhaps you could refresh my memory?

As a point in general, people should remember that my life doesn't revolve around every posting or PM directed at me on AoS. These days, my visits to the forum are more fleeting, as I have many other things that occupy my time, especially as this place gets bigger and bigger, so please bear that in mind.

Also bear in mind that on average I can receive 35-40 PMs per day and many more emails, so if I forget to answer some or simply don't have the time to reply, then forgive me as I'm only human There simply aren't enough hours in the day for me to respond to every single PM or post.

That, however, doesn't mean I don't care about whatever has been written or asked of me (far from it), or that necessary action needs taken. So instead of reacting negatively to matters, feel free to REMIND ME that you think something needs my attention, or that you've sent me a PM you consider hasn't been dealt with, via whatever means is necessary, and I promise that I will attend to it at my earliest convenience.

Cheers, folks!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Merry 27th of December
    Oh come on You knew EXACTLY what you were buying as you discussed it well enough before making the journey to collect it and at the time, I believe you were offered the same amount in friendly terms to pass it back to the maker, so that he could put it out of its misery (I'd have had it myself but just don't have the funds to spare (I had enough amps as it was)). You carried on, confirmed it was well blown, botched in a kind-of 'repair' as shown in the pics you provided and ended up selling it to someone? on eBay, who may well try to cannibalise another amp for parts in the hope of getting it to work again after a fashion.

NOBODY's nose is clean on this one imo, but I honestly don't think you were ignorant of the history of this unit when you bought it.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast