+ Reply to Thread

Thread: If in doubt about techie transformer hum.

I'm Con.

Default If in doubt about techie transformer hum.

:Hi all l have read a lot around the forum about removing the transformer from the techie mk2 because of hum coming the through the cartridge. I did different experiments to see if I could hear any hum through my speakers but could not hear any hum only hiss at high volumes. So I got my kids stethoscope which they we given( real doctors one) and BINGO I heard that dreaded hum , so if in doubt get yourself a stethoscope and chech it out for yourself. Which leads me to no other option to remove the transformer from the turntable because if the stethoscope can pick it up so can My cartridge . Ps if you can't get your hands a doctors stethoscope you could always use a mechanics stethoscope which you can pick one up from your local Automotive store.

I'm Charlie.

Mains transformers can hum due to DC offset. I can't imagine this being very big in a techie (unlike a power amp). However, the signal output is much smaller from a cartridge, so I can see how this might be an issue. Rather than take the trainee out, you could try a mains regenerator, like a Power Inspired AG500 or AG1500. An AG1500 instantly cured the transformer hum on my expensive TRON Voyager power amp.

danilo Guest

Years ago I bought a Sony receiver. It soon developed a Hummmm... from it's power transformer.
    Audible across the room loud. Making it unsuitable as an Audio device
    Shop didn't want to hear about it. Sony service centre said 'they all do that' .. despite it being under warranty.
    Last Sony product I ever bought.

+ Reply to Thread