+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linn Axis: Any good?

I'm Rich.

Default Linn Axis: Any good?

Hello.

Anyone used one or had a good listen?

Are they any good or are there better ways to spend £250-300 on a deck?

Interested in all opinions

Rich.

I'm Andy.

They aren't bad, as long as you get one with an Akito.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    They aren't bad, as long as you get one with an Akito.
    Thanks, I shall keep that in mind, I do see them with the Akito on eBay now and again, I had an Akito on a basic LP12 and thought it did it's job pretty well.

Is aren't bad and good the same thing?

I'm Nat.

Default Axis

I had one for a couple of years (my first proper player) and thought it was excellent for 2-300 quid you can't go wrong really, it doesn't have the set up issues of some more expensive decks and although the akito is considered the better arm the Basik Plus I had was pretty good fitted with a Denon 110 it was more than adequate.

I'm Geoff.

They are a decent turntable, but are quite complex electronically.

If you see what I mean.

They tend to be reliable, but can play up.

To be honest, I'd sooner spend less money on a good Goldring Lenco GL75. Nice and simple mechanically, sounds very decent in stock form and has limitless upgrade possibilities.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by stairpost View Post
    Thanks, I shall keep that in mind, I do see them with the Akito on eBay now and again, I had an Akito on a basic LP12 and thought it did it's job pretty well.

Is aren't bad and good the same thing?
    Imthink it's a good deck. There are better sounding decks out there but it does sound invitingly musical and it's a pretty user-friendly deck.

I'm Gary.

Simple and has great potential, also with Akito, Linn Basic, or is it k, can't remember

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    I had one for a couple of years (my first proper player) and thought it was excellent for 2-300 quid you can't go wrong really, it doesn't have the set up issues of some more expensive decks and although the akito is considered the better arm the Basik Plus I had was pretty good fitted with a Denon 110 it was more than adequate.
    Here's mine, Basik with Denon 110 too...

Attachment 18825

Been going well since '88...although I'd suggest there are probably better S/H options for 2-300 quid
    Cheers, Will

I'm Dave.

Back in the day, as Linn dealers, we struggled to sell the Axis against the Rega Planar-3 and that was a lot cheaper. We also had some troubles with the Axis power supply.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Back in the day, as Linn dealers, we struggled to sell the Axis against the Rega Planar-3 and that was a lot cheaper. We also had some troubles with the Axis power supply.
    I think the subsequent release of the Linn Basik turntable further undermined the Axis as a VFM option...however that wasn't available in '88

For me the big attraction at the time was electronic speed change, as I've got lots of 12" singles/EPs etc.

Previously I'd had an Ariston RB40 that required a platter removal and belt adjustment just to change speed, so the Axis made a lot of sense to me...

I've heard about the PSU reliability issues, however mine is original and still going strong...I'd suggest that the suspension diaphragm (an odd design) is worth checking out, as if damaged can make leveling the deck a real pain...

It's outclassed by the rest of my system now, however I probably don't play records enough to justify an upgrade...but it can't go on forever!
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast