+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tube Technology 'Unisis' (Signature)

I'm Peter.

Default Tube Technology 'Unisis' (Signature)

Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone here has or presently ownd a Tube Technology 'Unisis' (Signature) valve integrated amplifier..? Or any other of their products..?
    I believe the 'Unisis' Signature version has a valve moving magnet phono-stage built-in.

I remember meeting the designer Zia at a hi-fi Show in Belfast in the mid1990's, such a lovely chap to talk to, his Tube Technology valve hi-fi was/is Uber quality made..........and sounded superb on demo at the hi-fi Show!

Would love to hear from any owners please about the Tube Technology valve hi-fi equipment, cheers!

Thank you;
    Peter
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by macvisual View Post
    Hi all.

Just wondering if anyone here has or presently ownd a Tube Technology 'Unisis' (Signature) valve integrated amplifier..? Or any other of their products..?
    I believe the 'Unisis' Signature version has a valve moving magnet phono-stage built-in.

I remember meeting the designer Zia at a hi-fi Show in Belfast in the mid1990's, such a lovely chap to talk to, his Tube Technology valve hi-fi was/is Uber quality made..........and sounded superb on demo at the hi-fi Show!

Would love to hear from any owners please about the Tube Technology valve hi-fi equipment, cheers!

Thank you;
    Peter
    Yes I had one, I booted it. Zia who designed it canned the output power way too high, they eat power valves and spit them out way too fast. Sound, somewhat veiled and a tad forward.

Personally I preferred the way my Audio Innovations made music so I sold the Unisis on.

I agree re Zia being a really nice guy.

I thought Tube Technology had folded, but it looks like they are still trading.
    Regards Neil

I'm Dave.

Back in the day we used to sell a couple of Unisis per week. They were excellent and reliable. That's the good news.

Bad news is that Zia, despite being a long standing friend, did the dirty and disappeared owing me many thousands of Pounds. Since he closed Tube Technology some 10 years ago, I have had several phone conversations with people who had sent various faulty Tube Tech amps to Zia for service or repair and never getting them back. A couple of those had actually taken it further by contacting the police. Far as I know, none of these poor souls have had their gear returned.

Last I heard, Zia has scarpered to the US where he works for Eva Manley.
    Last edited by hifi_dave; 16-12-2016 at 10:10.

I'm Mauro.

I have the "standard" Unisis and for me it is an excellent amp.

I prefer it over the Audio Innovetions 500, being more refined and detailed and having faster and more articulated bass frequencies.

In general I prefer the EL84 over the EL34.

Furthermore it looks fabulous, has a small footprint and a great MM phono stage.

The only issue is for services, since they are not in business anymore.

However there is a guy in Wimbledon which can have a service on it; if you need more information PM me.

I'm Mauro.

A picture of my (standard) Unisis.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

They made some nice looking kit.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Stewart.

I have one of these - must say I rather love it.

Never had a problem with it's sound quality and as for overall looks it scores very highly.

I was lucky when I purchased it - only cost me £200 at the time.

Seems they are now rather collectible - just such a shame about their creator.
    Stewart.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

£200???

Rather a bargain there sir..
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Peter.

(£200) --- wOw that's mega cheap....!

They seem to range second hand prices between £900 and a rediculous high £1,800. If say around £1,250 would be the average going price for a minty condition 'Unisis'.

Still hard to find any for sale if you were after one...
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm Neil.

Ahhh well there you go. I too in the day worked in a place that sold these, and to my ears they were not anywhere near as good as Audio Innovations and they ate valves, way too much power being asked of the EL84s. Not only did I work in a place that sold them, but after the fact I owned a Unisis and did extensive comparisons, my Series 500 (early one) ate it for breakfast, both line and phono stage. I got rid of it.

After Zia's wife died, the guy who I knew died too. I am not defending bad behaviour or what others have stated - as that just isn't on.

Weirdly the Tube Technology website I linked to has 2016 on it, that usually means its active. Is it ?
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast