+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from York

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Thanks ' looking forward to hearing them .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpopely View Post
    Hi Marco.

Yes just done that with loads of pics.
    Nice one, Andrew. I really like your system - it's Linn/Naim done 'properly'!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Andrew. I really like your system - it's Linn/Naim done 'properly'!

Marco.
    Thanks.

It does sound good IMHO!

Andrew.

I'm sure it does, Andrew

It's obvious to me, as someone from a similar Linn/Naim background (although these days you wouldn't think so! ), that you know what you're doing.

There's considerable synergy going on there (something that I greatly believe in when assembling a system), which may not be apparent to everyone on first glance.

Clearly your system is the culmination of many years of learning and experimenting with Linn and Naim gear.... I can almost 'hear' and identify with how your system (that's the key word here) sounds just by looking at it, if you see what I mean! (and I mean that in a good sense)

Anyway, hopefully you'll enjoy it here and visit often. It's a little different to pfm (the only other forum I look at with any regularity), but I'm sure that you'll find many of the discussions interesting. Just ignore the 'rambling' from all us Techie diehards!

Incidentally, how did you hear about us?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Hi Marco.

Yes I did go through a lot of changes!

Basically
    TD150 > LP12

NAD3020 > Onix OA21 > NAC92/90.3/Flatcap > NAC72/Zap250

Helix > Tannoy R2 > Tannoy Eyris DC3 > Linn Sara > EPOS ES14

I make no bones that I like prog and my system was developed and 'tuned' for that type of music however, and you mentioned this, the synergy of my system is now of a standard that it does not favour one genre of music and thats got to be a good thing.

I went to the Wam show last year, thats where I heard of AoS, just never got around to joining.

Andrew

Ah, the Wam show... Are you coming to next year's one in March? We'll be exhibiting there again

I like how you've kept the 72. I loved my 72/Hi-Cap/140 when I had it - again there was real synergy and 'musicality' going on there... I even ran a 72/Supercap/140 for a month before upgrading to a 52 and 135s - that was an interesting temporary 'mullet'!

In my view, the NAC72 is one of Naim's best preamps for vinyl-based systems, and it looks really cool, too!

You might think me mad to say this, but in some ways adding the 52 and 135s caused the system in the process to lose a 'certain magic'. Yes it sounded bigger and more powerful, and certainly revealed more detail, but I'm sure that some of the addictive musical qualities and 'boogie factor' (synonymous with the earlier Naim equipment) also went with it...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by flatpopely View Post

Yes I did go through a lot of changes!

NAD3020 > Onix OA21 > NAC92/90.3/Flatcap > NAC72/Zap250
    Hi Andrew
    I have an Onix 'OA21' I've done a lot of work on it & made vast transformations. What improvements did you make moving to the Naim? I think i have a 110 in the back room somehere.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

In my view, the NAC72 is one of Naim's best preamps for vinyl-based systems, and it looks really cool, too!
    I thought the 32 the best old Naim Pre amp..

Yep, that's why I said that I thought the 72 was one of Naim's best preamps for vinyl; not the best

I think it would be a very interesting exercise to expose Naim's current clientele to music played through a system like Andrew's....

Some would probably get the shock of their lives (in a good sense) when they heard how far the current range of equipment has departed from the way it was originally voiced by JV

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Andrew.

Marco.

My 72 is not standard, it has individual card regulation and new 321 and 729 cards BUT. The mods are there to improve on the NAIM sound NOT change it.

I took my unmodified NAIT home and compared to my modified NAIM system. The modified sounded just as I though it would, just like the NAIT but with more oomph and detail.

It was quite close though..................

I have heard modern NAIM gear and I'm not sure I like the direction the sound has taken.

Andrew

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast