+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ortofon Cartridge Set Up

I'm Mick.

Chris a thing I did do was listen with my ears whilst moving things then when I knew it sounded better to me I adjusted it all up. Normally you throw the cart on, protractor set up away you go. Not with the Black. At points during the set up some of my records sounded terrible crackles and pops. This was close to the point I was going to remove it. Once the sweet spot is hit you will be happy. I know it's frustrating but worth it. Records do sound slightly noisy unless they are perfect but I adjusted the gain and all is ok now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm Chris.

@Jez

I am talking about another phono stage I use when talking about the gain above.

I have an Arlkess 640P early model as you know so I it should only need me to plug into the Arkless set in MM mode, links cut
    and no plugs required ?

Same with my other phono stage, remove all gain links and just set it to MM mode ?
    Last edited by Cas; 14-12-2016 at 17:21.
    Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Revox A77 MK IV 2 track 15 & 7 1/2 IPS
    TEAC A-3300SX 4 track 7 1/2 & 3 3/4 IPS
    Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster68 View Post
    Chris a thing I did do was listen with my ears whilst moving things then when I knew it sounded better to me I adjusted it all up. Normally you throw the cart on, protractor set up away you go. Not with the Black. At points during the set up some of my records sounded terrible crackles and pops. This was close to the point I was going to remove it. Once the sweet spot is hit you will be happy. I know it's frustrating but worth it. Records do sound slightly noisy unless they are perfect but I adjusted the gain and all is ok now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gain, that's the thing I only have links for 100pf and 220pf so I assume the place to start is no links in either and the phono stage set to MM because the
    arm wiring and interconnect may be enough gain ?

Turntable : Project 2 Xperience Tone Arm & Cartridge : Project 9c Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Stage : Project Phono Box SE II Digital Source :Primare CD21 Integrated Amp : Primare I30 Speakers : ProAc 110 Headphones : Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Andrew.

Ortofon Cadenza black took THREE F'KIN days of messing around before it sounded stunning.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    @Jez

I am talking about another phono stage I use when talking about the gain above.

I have an Arlkess 640P early model as you know so I it should only need me to plug into the Arkless set in MM mode, links cut
    and no plugs required ?

Same with my other phono stage, remove all gain links and just set it to MM mode ?
    Yes i know you're talking about another stage.
    No it's not that easy. The load I described is pretty non standard and virtually no MM stages allow this setting. You need to cut out the 100pF cart loading caps and then use extra loading plugs.
    It won't make a huge difference and the VTA issues etc others speak of are where you will likely find salvation... the loading is just icing on the cake. Check out the sites I mentioned and you should find further info.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Mick.

Just to add.

I checked my Azimuth setting again after set up and also used a spirit level on the head shell. It was slightly out from the other day. So now that this has been adjusted I can now say this helped towards a total clean crackle free perfect sound. I had previously checked this and thought it was ok. Amazing how minor things can change sounds that much at the stylus tip. This cart is well worth getting if set up correctly. I can really understand why people sell them on thinking they have tried everything so give up.
    Last edited by Dubster68; 15-12-2016 at 17:16.
    Technics SL1210 MK2 fully rebuilt and repainted. Ortofon 2M Black Cart, Isonoe isolation feet , MN bearing and Funk Firm platter upgrade, Oyaide RCA Tone Arm and speaker cables, Jelco SA-750D Tonearm. Oyaide HS-TF Carbon headshell, MCRU Linear External PSU, High Fidelity Crystal glass turntable matt, Blue LED upgrade, Denon AVR-2808CI Amp, Bowers and Wilkins DM602S3 Speakers,
    Black Rhodium Jazz power cables for amp and turntable, Firebottle mk2 Phono Stage.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubster68 View Post
    Just to add.

I checked my Azimuth setting again after set up and also used a spirit level on the head shell. It was slightly out from the other day. So now that this has been adjusted I can now say this helped towards a total clean crackle free perfect sound. I had previously checked this and thought it was ok. Amazing how minor things can change sounds that much at the stylus tip. This cart is well worth getting if set up correctly. I can really understand why people sell them on thinking they have tried everything so give up.
    Definitely worth persevering with. Once that Shibata cut diamond sits at the correct angle the 2M reveals its stellar performance. Made me think why would you ever need another cartridge?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Chris.

Thanks for the input on setting up the 2M Black but how would you set this phono stage gain for it, besides selecting MM of coarse?

Links in which gain selection or no links I would say 100pF

Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Chris.

What size type of spirit level did you use ?

Akai 4000DS MkII

I'm Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Cas View Post
    What size type of spirit level did you use ?
    I have a small spirit level that sits on the headshell. Loads on eBay for a couple of pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12