+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MC v MM Cartridges is one better than the other by design?

I'm Paul.

Default MC v MM Cartridges is one better than the other by design?

Hi all

Excuse the probably stupid question but looking to get a new cartridge and it got me thinking

Apart from the obvious that is MC has a lower output voltage to MM and requires the correct Phono Stage are there any real practical differences between MM & MC

My amp supports both MM & MC but what else should I be considerin. It used to be suggested that MC was better than MM but going by the number of high quality MM cartridges around now I suspect that is no longer true, if it ever was.

So for a given price point say 2 to 3 hundred pounds would one be better over the other.

Thanks for any input on this

Paul
    Current setup Thorens TD-160 Mk1 with Denon DL-110 MC Cartridge, Pioneer PD-8700 CD Player, Yamaha AX-592 Amp, Yamaha CDX-810 CD Player, Yamaha KX-480 Cassette Deck, Yamaha TX-492RDS Tuner, Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers, Van-Damme Cables throughout.

Bigman80 Guest

Hi Paul,

I've used a lot of budget MM carts and never really had any issue with sound quality until I got my hands on an Ortofon Vivo Red. This really opened my eyes in terms of quality. Everything sounded so much better. The best MM cart I owned was a Goldring 2100 which cost me £130 new. The Ortofon cost £150 used.

I then got hold of a Denon DL304 (?) Which is bar far the best cartridge I've personally heard. That cost the equivalent of £250 (I swapped a tonearm for it)

I'd say in me experience, go for the best used (low hours of course) MC you can afford.

The difference in my timeline has been surprising.

Those on here that have hi-end MM may have seen less of a difference between MM & MC. I'm sure they'll chime in.

Oliver.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jez.

MC carts are superior to MM without doubt in my opinion, and that of the majority of enthusiasts.... Some say the Decca MM's will give them a good run for their money but they can be awkward to use and tracking can be marginal.
    MC's generally have wider, flatter frequency response and are far less critical on loading than MM's. The main plus points to MM's being that they can, in some cases, have better tracking than MC's and they have removable stylus assemblies so new stylus time can be cheaper and easier.

MC's generally sound better in pretty much every area but especially in terms of "life" and dynamic contrast of the music, overall transparency and they seem to have a wider palette of tonal colours....
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andy.

I much prefer MCs. I still haven't heard an MM I'd be happy with. That said, I haven't heard the likes of the Technics EPC205 which gets a very good rep here and elsewhere. Quite a few MCs I've lived happily with though. One thing to bear in mind is the quality of the phono stage. MC is a much smaller signal so there's often more cost and skill in getting a good MC stage.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    I much prefer MCs. I still haven't heard an MM I'd be happy with. That said, I haven't heard the likes of the Technics EPC205 which gets a very good rep here and elsewhere. Quite a few MCs I've lived happily with though. One thing to bear in mind is the quality of the phono stage. MC is a much smaller signal so there's often more cost and skill in getting a good MC stage.
    The MC stage is a good point. I was also happy with my MC stage in the Sony TA730ES and then I bought a SUT from Walpurgis and now I wouldn't go back lol. It's an expensive passion this analogue business.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    A good point yes! It's considerably easier and cheaper to make a MM phono stage to a certain standard than a MC one... Not that it would effect my choice of cart.

Personally, I would say that if you are really serious about good sound from vinyl then you WILL be using a MC cartridge. MM's are ok for budget systems and DJ'ing...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Grant.

Dont think the necessary outcome is just as simple as which is better designed but more what suits your system and your tastes. Maybe pocket too lol. I like a decent mm tbh, and think it does enough right to keep me happy, without too many costs and setup troubles.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul-H View Post
    ...... are there any real practical differences between MM & MC
    The nature of an MC cartridge has less 'moving mass' internally, so can respond better and more quickly to the mechanical movements of the stylus/cantilever.

Bigman80 Guest

I have to say, every time I've "upgraded" a part in my setup, it has improved the sou d considerably. I am sure that as you reach a certain point the difference becomes negligible.

I'm never gonna have room or money for £20k speakers etc

I'm Trying to optimise the system for the space and budget I have.

just try to get the best equipment you can afford (best value as price doesn't pertain to performance) and the most suitable equipment for the listening space.

Can't go far wrong with that mantra surely ?

I'm Geoff.

You need a pair of Tannoys mate .

Buy Bev's System 800's. You like those!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast