+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a 1/2 track 15ips reel to reel mixdown deck for my studio...

I'm Geoff.

Default Looking for a 1/2 track 15ips reel to reel mixdown deck for my studio...

Hello. As above, I'm looking for something to mixdown to from my Akai MG1214 (remember those? HUGE 80s 12 channel multitracker, 1/2" tape in a Beatmax-like cassette). My budget is £400-£800 (for the right machine). I think I've decided on a Revox B77 or PR99 and have been looking on eBay but it's so hard to know whether or not you're buying a dud, not having a great deal of experience with r2r yet (having only previously owned a Tascam A3340S) and being unable to travel about much to check them out in person. I know condition is key no matter what make/model you get, but are there any others that people might recommend? Or have for sale? If necessary, I will be taking whatever I get to Reel Audio in Sussex for a calibration etc.

OR...

Since my lowly compositions will likely be "released" on cassette, would I be better off getting something like a Revox B710 cassette deck instead? Is the advantage of the wider track width of r2r 'lost' by then being duplicated to cassette, thereby dictating that I may as well mix to cassette in the first place anyway? This is all in lieu of anyone being able to cut vinyl using all-analogue processes these days.

Thanking you in advance!

I'm Alan.

I would buy a Tascam BR20 excellent machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsZFU2leAAI
    If you are buying a revox be prepared to build in the cost of a full service with some preventative measure recapping, the PR99 mk 3 is my favorite

Alan
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

I'm Charlie.

You might get a Sony APR5003 at that budget - i have 2 of these - both within your budget. The one on eb*y is overpriced and the heads need relapping.

I'm Geoff.

Cheers fellas. I'll look into those. Infact, I bought a Tascam 122 off someone a while ago that had a BR20 that they were due to sell but hadn't put on the market yet. It did look like a sweet piece.

What of my r2r/cassette quandary?

I'm Charlie.

R2R for stereo mix down mastering will always beat cassette - even a Tascam high speed 122. The tape cost is higher, but it's a one-off per album.

I'm Geoff.

Aye, for real. But, what I mean is, will there be any sonic advantage to mixing down to r2r and sending that off to get duplicated to cassette over just mixing down to cassette in the first place? If it were to be listened to solely on r2r then the advantages would be clear as obviously recording to r2r is highly likely to sound much better than cassette, due to the higher tape real estate and many other possible factors. However, is that 'betterness' going to 'transfer' onto the duplicated cassettes? Or is going from multitrack to r2r and then cassette just adding an unnecessary step? You get me?
    Last edited by Geefresh; 13-12-2016 at 18:14.

I'm Stewart.

Hi Geoff;

I can see what you are driving at here. Two words....Noise Floor.

No matter how good an analogue source you have tapewise it will always have an inherent noise floor. When duplicated to another analogue tape format the noise floor adds and thus increases - a simple fact of physics.

Now you can use Dolby type A or SR on your open reel master which will reduce (not eliminate) the source noise floor however if you just run a straight mixdown out of a Protools or similar system into a high quality cassette deck you will only have one noise floor - that of the cassette format itself.

Analogue warmth and character can be gained from using high end open reel machines however.

I leave these points for you to consider.
    Stewart.

I'm Geoff.

Thanks for your reply. However, either way there will be the same amount of 'transfers' of the material...it'll be going either from my tape multitrack, mixed down to r2r, then to the duplicating place for transfer to the cassettes (they can duplicate from their in-house PR99) or from my tape multitrack, mixed down to cassette (probably on a Revox B710), then to the duplicating place for straight cassette duplication.

Ah ha! What I actually meant was the increased frequency and dynamic response of the wider tape track width on a r2r...will that be lost when it's transferred to cassette at the duplicating place? If so, might I just as well mix to cassette?

I'm Geoff.

I suppose I've kinda gone round the houses, but I got there in the end...

I guess ultimately what I'm asking is, will the 'final destination' cassette duplications be able to reproduce the sonic benefits of the r2r format? Afterall, it can't represent frequencies etc that it's not physically able to represent, right? And, if not, might I just as well mix down to cassette in the first place?

Sorry.

Oh, and I'm not one of these bods who's looking to add 'analogue warmth' to their digital recordings by sticking it thru tape. Analogue is a bit of an 'ideology' for me more than anything. In my 30 (jesus!) patchy years of making music, I have only recorded to a computer but twice! It's always been cassette multitrackers up to now, however.

I'm Alan.

Why don't you down mix to both formats and see which gives the best results
    There are some very good cassette decks arround but I doubt you will get one of the top spec Naks for les that £1000 CR7e
    My Tascam 122mk2 is very good but still not as good as my best R2Rs

I would downmix to R2R onto New RMG or RTM SM900 tape which can still be purchased new. Calibrate the machine to take full advantage of this tapes extended dynamic range and high output +9db
    http://www.recordingthemasters.com/
    http://www.recordingthemasters.com/w...7_2016-web.pdf

Can you actually buy new cassette tape now? if not you will be relying on NOS and second hand at very high prices
    I bought 30 NOS cassette tapes last year and on the TDK SA in particular I dont get even recording levels and have difficulty Biasing that tape yet the Maxell XLi tapes seem fine

Alan
    Last edited by 337alant; 14-12-2016 at 14:49.
    Turntable - Garrard 401/Jelco 750L/Ortofon Kontrapunkt B, Pioneer PLC 590, Micro Sieki MA505 , Denon DL103R - DIY Paradise Phono stage - Reel 2 Reel Studer A810, Otari MX55,Tascam BR20, Revox A77, B77, PR99, TEAC X1000 & 3440, Digital HTPC / Young Dac - Preamp - DIY B4, 821, Power Amp's DIY Avondale NCC300 Mono Block, Speakers Wilmslow Kit Volt BM220.8 / Scanspeak D2905/9500

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast