+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tannoy cheviot -x over rebuilds

I'm Paul.

Yes, it's not unknown Paul. It's always worth checking the values, as you rightly point out.

I'm Brian.

Wow Paul , it must have taken you ages to type that lot out .. thank you so much ..

I take your point about the silver .. and i will do as advised . However i did hear a distinct difference in sound just the other week when another Builder on hear demonstrated the difference between a normal aftermarket power lead , and one constructed from 12 strands of PTFE covered silver .. this was pure silver .. not stirling ( all my interconnects i made with this )

I would like to keep the original treble switches on the front .. and take you up on your offer of supplying the parts .
    I will call you tomorrow if thats ok ..

Once again thanks so much for your help ..

Regards Brian

I'm Josie.

Yep, if you are unsure just swap the resistors out for some Mills or Mundorf maybe. If you want to go fancy then I highly recommend the Duelund type. Path resistors are also good.

It's entirely hup to you
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

danilo Guest

In that vein; PartsConnexion is clearing out (non selling ?) Cast Duelunds at 1/2 price.
    Still obscenely priced.. but Hey.. Half off.
    Poser parts for 'less'

RothwellAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Silver wiring is unwise... I really don't understand why people still think that there's some mechanism for it benefiting SQ. It really offers no benefits whatsoever...
    ...and actually, the best benefits come not from boutique parts, but from getting the cabinet tuning correct...
    Look mate, you clearly know nowt about hi-fi - silver is more expensive than copper, therefore it must be better, geddit?
    Correct tuning? Are you mad? Sound quality comes from paying the highest possible price for components. Any fool knows that. Fortunately there is a growing number of suppliers who do understand where sound quality comes from and are willing to go the extra mile in inflating the price of components in order to wring the last ounce of sound quality from them for the benefit of true audiophiles.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
    Look mate, you clearly know nowt about hi-fi - silver is more expensive than copper, therefore it must be better, geddit?
    Correct tuning? Are you mad? Sound quality comes from paying the highest possible price for components. Any fool knows that. Fortunately there is a growing number of suppliers who do understand where sound quality comes from and are willing to go the extra mile in inflating the price of components in order to wring the last ounce of sound quality from them for the benefit of true audiophiles.
    and as it looks bright and shiny it obviously must sound the same way... stands to reason innit...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Paul.

...double post

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post

My bad. I must now drop any notion of using acoustic and electronic knowledge to design things and instead just use gold/silver solid core wiring, capacitors made from gold leaf plates with polypropylene all rolled on a virgin's thigh and resistors made from the finest ceramic coated with fine 15 nines silver dust. I can then make the cabinets any old how and they'll sound grrrrrrrreat! Thank you for your wisdom, you are truly a Grand Masta Mr Rothwell, truly the enlightened one! Would it help if I wore a tin foil hat when working? By earthing the hat I could ground any stray EM fields to prevent contamination of the carefully aligned quantums in the components for the ultimate sonic purity maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    and as it looks bright and shiny it obviously must sound the same way... stands to reason innit...
    I've obviously not shared the extensive training of yourself and Grand Masta Andrew...I will enrole in your skeewel of training and be taught the secrets of componentology until I too am Grand Masta.

If it's half as much fun as the Goodies school for Ecky Thump, I'm in for a treat...

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post

My bad. I must now drop any notion of using acoustic and electronic knowledge to design things and instead just use gold/silver solid core wiring, capacitors made from gold leaf plates with polypropylene all rolled on a virgin's thigh and resistors made from the finest ceramic coated with fine 15 nines silver dust. I can then make the cabinets any old how and they'll sound grrrrrrrreat! Thank you for your wisdom, you are truly a Grand Masta Mr Rothwell, truly the enlightened one! Would it help if I wore a tin foil hat when working? By earthing the hat I could ground any stray EM fields to prevent contamination of the carefully aligned quantums in the components for the ultimate sonic purity maybe?

I've obviously not shared the extensive training of yourself and Grand Masta Andrew...I will enrole in your skeewel of training and be taught the secrets of componentology until I too am Grand Masta.

If it's half as much fun as the Goodies school for Ecky Thump, I'm in for a treat...
    The skills can only be taught under a full moon of course... and there are six lessons.... so that's 6 moons in all.... When fully initiated, no further measurement or knowledge of electronics or acoustics is required! You just need to remember the basic steps of 1/ everything must be shiny. 2/ everything must be heavy 3/everything must have a totally implausible price tag.... all other issues can be solved by the judicious use of shakti stones, tone woods and a green marker pen
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

RothwellAudio Guest

Just to be serious for a moment, I hope the OP wasn't offended - having a pop at silver wiring wasn't intended as an insult to his technical knowledge. I think what was at the back of my mind was something I read from a supplier of moving coil step-up transformers. He was raving about the new silver-wired transformers he was offering and making wild claims for their superiority over the copper-wired version. Ok, I'll admit that reducing the resistance of the windings in a transformer is a good thing, so silver wiring rather than copper wiring will have some benefit (about 5% less resistance), but what appalled me was his claim that the core material for the transformer didn't really matter much - it was all about silver wire. That was either a display of shocking technical ignorance from someone who sets himself up as an expert, or it was a very cynical sales ploy.
    What really annoys me is the fact that bogus claims like that turn customers against honest products which are well-designed and offer superior performance but lack the kudos of precious metals or some other must-have bling.
    Anyway, rant over - back to rebuilding crossovers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast