Quote Originally Posted by RothwellAudio View Post
Just to be serious for a moment, I hope the OP wasn't offended - having a pop at silver wiring wasn't intended as an insult to his technical knowledge. I think what was at the back of my mind was something I read from a supplier of moving coil step-up transformers. He was raving about the new silver-wired transformers he was offering and making wild claims for their superiority over the copper-wired version. Ok, I'll admit that reducing the resistance of the windings in a transformer is a good thing, so silver wiring rather than copper wiring will have some benefit (about 5% less resistance), but what appalled me was his claim that the core material for the transformer didn't really matter much - it was all about silver wire. That was either a display of shocking technical ignorance from someone who sets himself up as an expert, or it was a very cynical sales ploy.
What really annoys me is the fact that bogus claims like that turn customers against honest products which are well-designed and offer superior performance but lack the kudos of precious metals or some other must-have bling.
Anyway, rant over - back to rebuilding crossovers.
I'm sure that Brian wasn't offended having spoken with him yesterday Andrew. He's a nice chap with head firmly screwed on. Yes, it is dishonest of a few manufacturers to continue to peddle silver as somehow superior, completely without any context other than it's a precious metal so therefore must "sound better". Wire doesn't actually "sound" of anything.