+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Denon 103, 103R, 301 &c

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I have read a review where the guy who owns one prefers his AT33PTG/II.
    Yes I read that but as with all MC cartridges it depends on how it is set up, what arm/ headshell/ SUT......etc is used.

Marco had his set up spot on and it was awesome. Not heard the AT33PTGii for very long so hard to make a comparison.

I have heard a lot if MC cartridges and I would say Marcos DL-S1 was the best I have heard, probably due to fanatical attention to detail in setting it up.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm terry.

I have (had) an aluminium bodied 103 r, used in the Jelco 750d arm, needs the heavy counterweight variation for this, ALLY BODY provides the extra mass i suppose.
    very clear with good top and bottom extension, good tracking.
    dropped it when changing headshell for MM, broke cantilever, Debating (fix or not.)?

I'm Stuart.

Fix..!

I'm Tim.

Second that : Fix !
    - Cart Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type headshell
    - TA SME 3009 'Improved' converted in heavy mass with detachable headshell
    - TT Thorens TD160 'E' totally tweaked driven by an 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer combo
    - Matts top to bottom: leather, cork, felt & 12" vinyl
    - Pre-amp 'Modulis' Isem
    - Amp 'Exampli' Etalon 2x40W
    - Speakers 12" Leak 'Sandwich' first generation creatively recapped

I'm terry.

Quote Originally Posted by tlscapital View Post
    Second that : Fix !
    thanks for advice, will do,
    where any advice?

I'm Geoff.

Try Goldring. They repair other makes and have a decent reputation. However, it would probably be cheaper just to find another DL-103R second hand. In my opinion, having the DL-103R repaired may only be worthwhile if you opt for a decent line contact diamond tip. That way the outlay could possibly be justified. I think Goldring could probably mount one of the Geiger tips they use on their Eroica MC. That should be good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    I have read a review where the guy who owns one prefers his AT33PTG/II.
    Judging from the very low output of the DL-S1, it seems it probably has non-magnetic cores in the coils. I think the "common wisdom" says this usually results in great transparency and nuances with the possible downside being less punch or meat. But then again, the Pioneer PC-70MC also had non-magnetic cores and I can't say it lacked any punch or body, so... But the AT33PTG/II is certainly no slouch (and probably easier to optimize due to having a more healthy voltage output) so I wouldn't be surprised someone prefers it to the Denon. Haven't heard the DL-S1 myself, but if I had unlimited funds it'd certainly be one of those cartridges I'd like to own.

I'm bob.

I'm bob.

I was looking at that photo I just uploaded, and thinking that the new cart is running very very low indeed. That is with recommended vtf of 1.4g. Here is another shot with the force set at a super low 0.6g or so, which to me like a lot more normal ride height.

Is the 301 just a very low rider, or have I got one that never passed Denon QC?

(Saying that, should there be a QC but of documentation in the box? I know the 103 comes with a hand written output thing...)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    I was looking at that photo I just uploaded, and thinking that the new cart is running very very low indeed. That is with recommended vtf of 1.4g. Here is another shot with the force set at a super low 0.6g or so, which to me like a lot more normal ride height.

Is the 301 just a very low rider, or have I got one that never passed Denon QC?

(Saying that, should there be a QC but of documentation in the box? I know the 103 comes with a hand written output thing...)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk
    Your second photo looks like mine when I had it set up but it is quite a low rider.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast