+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JR149 speaker - bad connection? Or worse?!

Default JR149 speaker - bad connection? Or worse?!

Hi,

Some 6 years ago (!), I posted here looking for advice on updating my turntable and amp. The advice was very helpful, though I've only recently got around to selling a load of unwanted loft junk on eBay to get the funds together to actually do it.

I didn't entirely follow the guidance given, but my eBaying has got me:
    An 80s Linn LP12 (with Hercules PSU, RB300 and AT-120 cartridge, from the fantastic Peter at Cymbiosis).
    Quad 33/303.
    A matched pair of JR149 speakers (Mk2, I believe).

The JR149s are cosmetically in good condition, and worked brilliatnly when I first set them up. However, in the last few days, I've been having some intermittent problems with one speaker. Initially, it sounded like the woofer would cut out, and then reconnect, though it's now extended to the whole speaker sporadically disconnecting/reconnecting. Currently, when it does work, the sound is much quieter through the affected speaker.

To be sure it's the speaker and not the amp, I've switched the left and right speakers over - it's definitely the same speaker. With the speaker's cover off (image attached), I can't see anything obviously wrong, though I am far from an expert.

Can the fault be easily diagnosed, and could it be repaired by someone with limited experience? (i.e. me?!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm DAVE.

Hi Howard....PM sent.

I'm richard.

I had the same problems with mine. Not used for years. But mine has a XO that includes a fuse and connector. Anyhow I did all the visual checks and ended up with a resoldered connection to the bass unit. It didn't fix it but Slawa of SW1X properly fixed all the soldering for me (great guy btw) but I then had a volume issue like you. I sprayed copious amounts of switch cleaner in it and exercised - max to min - the pot to clean it. After 36+hrs of continuous use the problem went away. So maybe an issue in the XO somewhere or the pot was the problem. Good luck !!

+ Reply to Thread