+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: A Power Amp for Paul

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Lovely. Neat as a new pin Will. With workmanship like this, and an amplifier like this, it does make you wonder if people seeking one of the best PP amplifiers out there at the minute ought to look closer to home than places such as Italy, Germany, America or God forbid, China!
    Many thanks Paul. This entire thread is a ruse by the way, I'm actually re-casing a Chinese eBay amp for you
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Josie.

Looking very nice, Will.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Radford Revival View Post
    Many thanks Paul. This entire thread is a ruse by the way, I'm actually re-casing a Chinese eBay amp for you
    Like this one?

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Looking very nice, Will.
    Many thanks

A note about the protection circuit.

It's extremely simple - but quite effective. It just watches the cathode current of each output valve. Because the average current in a Class-AB amplifier varies, it employs a time constant to ignore short term high current spikes from music, et cetera, but trigger on a longer term overcurrent / fault. There is actually a more accurate way to implement such a circuit, that will more or less ignore music current swings and only trigger on a fault, but the additional complexity would be hard to justify, when this already works quite well, and just consists of resistors, diodes and capacitors.

As well as this, each valve has a rapid response trip for severe faults that will bypass the time constant, to reduce any potential damage as much as possible.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Alex.

I was going to ask for more details about the protection, but you have beaten me to it, thank you.
    Spendorman

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Lovely. Neat as a new pin Will. With workmanship like this, and an amplifier like this, it does make you wonder if people seeking one of the best PP amplifiers out there at the minute ought to look closer to home than places such as Italy, Germany, America or God forbid, China!
    +1
    Spendorman

I'm Shane.

Nice pictures, Will.

Do you also build ''Integrated'' versions of these Radfords too? Or, at least a Radford, with built in volume pot?

S.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    Nice pictures, Will.

Do you also build ''Integrated'' versions of these Radfords too? Or, at least a Radford, with built in volume pot?

S.
    Thanks Shane.

Not at the present. It's a good idea but unfortunately not something we currently offer - future projects will likely feature an integrated type amplifier.
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Will.

Just for the record it is currently around about 9:40pm and I've been soldering on and off since this morning, and have now stopped for the day. The amp is getting there now but these things aren't half labour intensive to build. I'm tired!
    Radford Revival
    www.radfordrevival.co.uk

I'm Shane.

Quote Originally Posted by Radford Revival View Post
    Thanks Shane.

Not at the present. It's a good idea but unfortunately not something we currently offer - future projects will likely feature an integrated type amplifier.

Thanks, Will. Wish I could come over someday, and hear the STA15!

S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast