+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An early Christmas pressie to myself

I'm Ian.

Well, after lots more fiddling with the SME and realigning everything the SR370 is transformed. Even with the budget Goldring 2100 and the 35 year old tonearm cable I am blown away it. I think once I can get a Mission 774 and a good MC cartridge it will make mincemeat of my LP12.
    I found a good condition Systemdeck dust cover which is almost a perfect fit, even the hinges line up so should look good when I fit it properly.
    As you might notice I'm like a dog with two willys in a street full of lamp posts.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Geoff.

Told ya!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    As you might notice I'm like a dog with two willys in a street full of lamp posts.
    Excellent

I'm Ian.

I fitted my 2M Black to the SME today and all I can say is WOW!!!. I'm so pleased I revisited the SR-370, with the black fitted the bass is so controlled but warm and natural. The mid and top end are very easy on the ear with no sign of harshness or straining to find the high notes. I was very lucky that the black wasn't too much hassle to fit but I expect more fine tuning will follow, if only to confirm it's in the sweet spot.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The SR-370 will totally outclass a standard Techie for sound quality and you'd need to spend a fair bit to make one come close. I'd not be surprised if you find it better than the Linn.

I've probably owned 100 turntables of one sort or another, but the SR-370 and 774 are a bit of a 'magic' combination. One that I've been using for many years without feeling the need to look elsewhere. Bung a ZYX on (with a good SUT) and you complete the equation.
    +1

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Exceptional TT the Toshiba SR-370. Nothing flashy or fancy, just great, solid engineering.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

I fitted my 2M Black to the SME today and all I can say is WOW!!!. I'm so pleased I revisited the SR-370, with the black fitted the bass is so controlled but warm and natural. The mid and top end are very easy on the ear with no sign of harshness or straining to find the high notes. I was very lucky that the black wasn't too much hassle to fit but I expect more fine tuning will follow, if only to confirm it's in the sweet spot.
    I ran a SME 3009 S2 On my SR370 for a little while and gave the mission 774 a few nights off. I refitted the Mission swiftly. To me, the SME sounded a little flat. As soon as the Mission was put back on the music returned in its full glory. I loved the build quality and look of the SME and it's a beautiful tonearm but performance wise the Mission kicked it ass in every department. I now have a ZYX running on my sr370/mission 774 combo and it's out of this world.

I have a spare dust cover, albeit scratched. Let me know if you want it. You can have it for the price of delivery or free if you collect it. I have spare brackets too I think.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I now have a ZYX running on my sr370/mission 774 combo and it's out of this world.
    Yup!

I'm Ian.

When a 774 comes along I will grab it, apart from the great performance of the 370 it's such a breath of fresh air not having to fiddle with fussy suspension every time I change something and not paying through the nose for future upgrades. Don't get me wrong I was very happy with the LP12 but the next level of upgrades were into four figures and I'm just not sure if there's value in that and Linn snobbery just rubs me up the wrong way. In a nutshell the LP12 is going ( might fund a ZYX, fingers crossed )
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

Bigman80 Guest

When a 774 comes along I will grab it, apart from the great performance of the 370 it's such a breath of fresh air not having to fiddle with fussy suspension every time I change something and not paying through the nose for future upgrades. Don't get me wrong I was very happy with the LP12 but the next level of upgrades were into four figures and I'm just not sure if there's value in that and Linn snobbery just rubs me up the wrong way. In a nutshell the LP12 is going ( might fund a ZYX, fingers crossed )
    The Toshiba is a beast. Best TT I've ever had and I've had a few. It's unassuming and slightly industrial looking but you just can't argue with the sound it makes. You'll be blown away with the ZYX/774/SR370 COMBO. Get the mission arm rewired with modern copper. That was a huge improvement too. The old wiring was dull sounding so I replaced I with KAB superfex. £30 all in and it was a huge improvement

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast