+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Emotionally Disturbing Music

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    Oops Upside Your Head - Oddysey
    The Gap Band? (and I'm sorry I know that)

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I missed this in the day. Really curious listen. Interesting stuff. Well done Grant!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post

WRT "This is the 51st state of the USA" he really did come out with some stonking lyrics.

I'm looking forward to seeing what some of the classical experts suggest .. maybe a bit of Mahler ?? He always seems pretty dark and heavy to my ears. Possibly some Wagner, too ?
    Classical guys are keeping quiet, obviously. They're too disturbed to post!

The key to disturbing music is not to be disturbed by it but appreciate it for what it is. Otherwise its a downward spiral...

Which brings is onto stuff like this. Great to learn on an acoustic as its quite simple to play. Great on a piano. Great in all the below versions.

There's a danger of being too wet in self pity with some stuff and this is a bit borderline IMHO. But it just about gets away with it. It is a classic. Trent does a good job of mixing moments of true beauty with despair on a lot of the NIN material.

Original version:

Piano version (poor SQ but good):

Cash version. Bit miserable for a last song before he died but hey:

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    The Gap Band? (and I'm sorry I know that)
    See ??

Part of my subconscious plan to forget all these records is working .. if I can't remember the artists it won't be long before I forget the title and then the tune itself
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Jez.

I find anything by Stock Aitken and Waterman deeply disturbing.. I'd run a mile to avoid hearing any Kylie or Jason.... and don't get me started on the whole '80's nostalgia thing.... it's depressing enough that an era one remembers as only yesterday is now regarded by a younger generation in the way I would think of the sixties (which I'm just too young to remember...)... FFS that makes me feel old! But it had the worst music of any decade as well (chart stuff, "on the telly and radio " stuff anyway).... all that glitter and cleanness and white socks and highlights in hair... ARRGHH!!! Anathema to a biker/hippy! I can hear distant roto-toms and smell a wiff of setting gel... RUN!!
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Martin.

It disturbs me to think how long ago that was.

The only music I can think of that disturbs me is Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds. It freaked me out as a kid and I still can't listen to it now. Think it is Burton's narration that tips me over.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

The only music I can think of that disturbs me is Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds. It freaked me out as a kid and I still can't listen to it now. Think it is Burton's narration that tips me over.
    I always thought it "hamming it up" and couldn't take it seriously...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Grant.

Great album. I love it....mind you i was older when it came out i suppose
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

I think I was 11 or 12. Not sure now. Was round at a mates and he put it on. I had to go home it creeped me out so much.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Paul.

That's a great shout and another genre : sci-fi.
    Amazing book, two brilliant films and one stonking soundtrack/concept album.
    Do you have the remix albums ??
    They're really good too and well worth digging out.

Burton's voice was amazing, but they made a good choice with Morgan Freeman in the Tom Cruise version, didn't they ?

One of my guiltiest secrets from childhood was to persuade my mum to buy the album for me as we would be reading the book at school.
    A blatant lie, but it was worth the money in terms of the number of times I listened to it .. on double cassette too !
    I've since bought it on CD and vinyl - at last - with that amazing booklet that accompanies it.

Going back to the 80s stuff again, I think synthetic music naturally lends itself to the sinister.
    Another track that didn't scare me but certainly stirred something was The Human League's Darkness from their Dare album.
    Some of the later Depeche Mode stuff is up there too ..
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast