+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Emotionally Disturbing Music

I'm Mike.

Anything by Oasis/Blur/James and the like gives me the boak does that count?

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Anything by Oasis/Blur/James and the like gives me the boak does that count?
    +1, if 'The Boak' means ya don't like it too much!

I'm Paul.

The Macarena - Los del Rio
    The Ketchup Song - Las Ketchup
    Oops Upside Your Head - Oddysey
    Wannabe - The Spice Girls
    The Birdie Song - The Tweets
    Dancing Queen - Abba
    Never Forget - Take That
    Agadoo - Black Lace

Anything that requires dance steps to be learned and passed down through generations.
    Anything that gets Joe Public off their backsides at about half ten at any party anywhere in the UK.
    Anything that is considered a "wedding reception classic".

I actually stopped DJing weddings when someone came up to me and asked if I could "play some cheese".

Yes, I'm a music snob.
    No, I don't care.

I find the songs listed above to be insidious and a form of brainwashing that the masses do to themselves.
    The love for Take That in particular staggers me.
    Yes, they're nice blokes - apart from Robbie who's a cock in denial about pretty much everything - but their music is just generic, formulaic pop.
    How they've been elevated to the same level as The Beatles by millions of people is beyond me ..

Abba were incredibly talented but I don't care for their stuff, least of all DQ - a guaranteed floor-filler, unfortunately.
    Oddysey also made some good music, but that whole sit down in a line thing just makes me angry for some reason ..

So, yeah ... I am emotionally disturbed when in the presence of any of these songs being played.
    Linn Sondek LP12, Ittok, AT-F7
    Schiit Mani MK1 Phono Pre-Amp
    Nobsound NS-08P Bluetooth pre-amp
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    2 x Meridian 205 monoblock power amps
    Tannoy T225 "Mayfair" speakers
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Geoff.

I don't find any music disturbing. I'm just going to bung on some Marylin Manson!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by rigger67 View Post
    The Macarena - Los del Rio
    The Ketchup Song - Las Ketchup
    Oops Upside Your Head - Oddysey
    Wannabe - The Spice Girls
    The Birdie Song - The Tweets
    Dancing Queen - Abba
    Never Forget - Take That
    Agadoo - Black Lace

Anything that requires dance steps to be learned and passed down through generations.
    Anything that gets Joe Public off their backsides at about half ten at any party anywhere in the UK.
    Anything that is considered a "wedding reception classic".

I actually stopped DJing weddings when someone came up to me and asked if I could "play some cheese".

Yes, I'm a music snob.
    No, I don't care.

I find the songs listed above to be insidious and a form of brainwashing that the masses do to themselves.
    The love for Take That in particular staggers me.
    Yes, they're nice blokes - apart from Robbie who's a cock in denial about pretty much everything - but their music is just generic, formulaic pop.
    How they've been elevated to the same level as The Beatles by millions of people is beyond me ..

Abba were incredibly talented but I don't care for their stuff, least of all DQ - a guaranteed floor-filler, unfortunately.
    Oddysey also made some good music, but that whole sit down in a line thing just makes me angry for some reason ..

So, yeah ... I am emotionally disturbed when in the presence of any of these songs being played.
    The thing about DQ is that it is an excellent song. It is also a bit vomit inducing. It's just too perfect a pop song. But the subject matter is dross and the "coolness factor" of liking Abba is petrifyingly low. Like much of the other material you mention.

Disturbing? Yes. But not in a good way. But then is disturbing ever good? I think it is. The fact is there are deeper, darker sides to life and the human psyche, and music that explores these areas was primarily the reason for the thread. Ian Curtis did it superbly and the depth of his lyrics really was a bit unexplored. I'm not sure many have got there before or since.

Another kind of disturbing is just noise as explored by bands like Napalm Death and Extreme Noise Terror. I'm not a fan of that, either.

I'm Paul.

I know what you mean.
    It's a bit like horror as a genre.
    We shouldn't enjoy being scared, but we do .. same thing here. I think it's about challenging ourselves and ultimately stimulating the brain in unusual ways to keep life entertaining.
    That's partly what the joy of the journey is all about with music, too - always finding new stuff to listen to, whether if it's decades old or a new artist.

I don't like Joy Division personally, but I can appreciate why so many do.
    I think The The were up there in the darkness stakes for a while, with Soul Mining especially, though their music was often too catchy to be classed as disturbing.

I loved that thing about the timing of Tubular Bells triggering stuff in the brain.
    That's fascinating, and probably key to why so much classical music can be so moving, whether in a eurphoric sense or a more gloomy, emotionally down sense.
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    www.paulridgeblog.com

I'm Geoff.

If you can find any, listen to 'Artificial Memory Trace'. It's not truly music, but could be called Electroacoustic Constructions. Some may well find it disturbing.

As I said. I find no music disturbing.

I've never seen a movie that I've found scary either. Creepy maybe though. Roman Polanki's classic 'Repulsion' is renowned for creeping folk out.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Justin.

Ah Matt Johnson and Jools Holland in their prime. Yup it definitely had/has a real sense of depth too it aligned with fantastic sonics. Not as disturbing as JD, but there is a definite sense of being at unease with the way things are. Even if we are just symptoms of the moral decay that's gnawing at the heart of the country

Trent Reznor is pretty good at disturbing.

So I think we need some disturbing classical refs please someone?
    Last edited by User211; 11-12-2016 at 21:08.

I'm Grant.

This in the day was and did live up to its name Thankfully someone nicked my copy May be valuable but so is my mind
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Johnson was bang on, wasn't he ??

"The wars on the televisions will never be explained
    All the bankers gettin' sweaty beneath their white collars
    As the pound in our pocket turns into a dollar
    This is the 51st state of the U.S.A."

Could've been written yesterday but it was 1986.
    THIRTY YEARS and nothing has changed ..

I like the way you worked the lyric in to your reply.
    Chapeau, mon ami, chapeau

I quite like a bit of Marilyn Manson and loved his Killing Strangers from the John Wick OST - cracking movie, too :

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    So I think we need some disturbing classical refs please someone?
    I'm sure there are lots of examples but soundtracks would be an obvious starting point.
    Cape Fear is one that springs to mind, from the always excellent Bernard Herrmann:

Then a few choice Hitchcock's like Vertigo and Psycho, again both by that man Herrmann (even his name means Mr Man in German )

I'm looking forward to seeing what some of the classical experts suggest .. maybe a bit of Mahler ?? He always seems pretty dark and heavy to my ears. Possibly some Wagner, too ?
    Marantz CD5004 CD Player
    Pure DAB tuner
    www.paulridgeblog.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast