+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phono Stage

I'm Charlie.

What sort of budget? If you're thinking about the £1k mark, there are lots of high quality phono stages. If you're aiming to match your future L07D, then you may want to aim higher. here are some options at about the £1k mark.

Croft RIAA R - £1000 MM only
    World Designs Phono 3S & PSU 3 - £1150 built
    EAR 834P (although recent price rises make this more like £1200-1800)
    TRON Convergence - £1000 for MC or £900 for MM
    Whest Two.2 - £1300

I've heard the EAR, TRON and owned the WD Phono 3. Of these, I preferred the TRON Convergence - here's my review

http://topoxforddoc.zenfolio.com/blo...ce-phono-stage

Ideally you want to be able to have a home demo and listen to it in your own system. Good luck.

I'm Steve.

Thumbs up Phono stage contenders

I use one of Alan's Firebottle designs and it is really good. His new one is top notch and i can't recommend it highly enough. If you were using mm only i would have started your listening with the Schiit Mani. I have one as a spare and it's a little cracker.
    Last edited by Floyddroid; 21-12-2016 at 22:00.

I'm Steve.

Yes indeed, that's what we talk about here! It's a forum dedicated to Hifi/Audio and subsidiaries there of. You seem to have already mentioned your Cosworth so in this thread it would be better to stick to the essence of the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Droog View Post
    We still talking hifi.......

Or should I mention my Cosworth.????

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by roob View Post
    There is a Arkless Turbo for sale on pfm which is well worth a look.
    Quote Originally Posted by Droog View Post
    We still talking hifi.......

Or should I mention my Cosworth.????

Yes we're still talking hi fi... The Arkless Turbo was a phono stage I used to make, as I would have hoped one of the other thread participants would have pointed out by now (a prime example of why I have issues with NEBO). It was about £400 and favourably reviewed against £1K stages elsewhere. It's no longer available but still supported.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    Yes we're still talking hi fi... The Arkless Turbo was a phono stage I used to make, as I would have hoped one of the other thread participants would have pointed out by now (a prime example of why I have issues with NEBO). It was about £400 and favourably reviewed against £1K stages elsewhere. It's no longer available but still supported.
    ????? Not sure what you mean by the Nebo comment Jez. Please explain.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    ????? Not sure what you mean by the Nebo comment Jez. Please explain.
    Aye, you've lost me Jez.

I think someone might have brought one to the 3rd NEBO but that was the time all them Lenco loving jazz fans turned up and after hearing the same bloody sax solo for the umpteenth time, Macca and I went for a smoke and a chat so I couldn't you tell which phono stage was playing.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Yiangos.

Greg , taking in account your cartridge (zyx) and the type of music you like,i ca recommend 2 phono stages.the ear 864p if you want to "mellow" a bit your zyx or the Tom Evan's microgroove x mk2 or even better the microgroove plus x mk2 is "prat" is your thing ! And NO , I am not selling you mine (you know what I am talking about lol )

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by topoxforddoc View Post
    What sort of budget? If you're thinking about the £1k mark, there are lots of high quality phono stages. If you're aiming to match your future L07D, then you may want to aim higher. here are some options at about the £1k mark.

Croft RIAA R - £1000 MM only
    World Designs Phono 3S & PSU 3 - £1150 built
    EAR 834P (although recent price rises make this more like £1200-1800)
    TRON Convergence - £1000 for MC or £900 for MM
    Whest Two.2 - £1300

I've heard the EAR, TRON and owned the WD Phono 3. Of these, I preferred the TRON Convergence - here's my review

http://topoxforddoc.zenfolio.com/blo...ce-phono-stage

Ideally you want to be able to have a home demo and listen to it in your own system. Good luck.
    +1

I'm sure that Alan's design is very good too, but as with Charlie, I'd throw the TRON Convergence into the ring.

Having owned a fair few phonostages over the years including some rather pricey fare and some on Charlie's list (above) over the years, including an EAR Signature and a Croft, I can say hand on heart that the TRON wipes the floor with the lot of them. The Croft doesn't come remotely close and the Ear sounds noisy, a little rolled off at the frequency extremes and veiled by comparison. The TRON is not just "a little" better, but so much better, it makes a mockery of anything I've heard or used up to at least £2K in price. Superb S/N (low noise), balance, subtlety and neutrality combined with impressive imaging, dynamics and detail. I throw it into the ring as I'm also using one with a ZYX cartridge and it's a perfect match.

I'm Alan.

Just stick to this one Steve, like I do. Simples

I'm Steve.

Just listening to the music seems good at the moment Alan as at the moment with the exception of yourself and the great team of guys i have met personally through Nebo etc i simply don't know who to trust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Just stick to this one Steve, like I do. Simples

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast