+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which digital format?

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by j.postema View Post
    So my question is: does it still make sense to buy new compact discs in 2016? How do you source your digital music?
    Complete sense, buy the CD, rip & tag it to FLAC, then stream it...

Check out the 'ripping' sticky for top ripping tips
    Cheers, Will

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Complete sense, buy the CD, rip & tag it to FLAC, then stream it...

Check out the 'ripping' sticky for top ripping tips
    Yeah, this. CDs are filthy cheap and rip to FLAC nicely - I use the very slow but very accurate morituri ripper: http://thomas.apestaart.org/morituri/trac/

MusicBrainz Picard is your friend, a great way to keep tags in order

I also have a spotify premium acct for new music discovery and general 'radio' listening.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by j.postema View Post
    Hi,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but I was not able to find a similar topic.

after trying vinyl I decided to go digital. I bought a second hand turntable and placed a new stylus and cartridge (AT100E) and bought a few records for testing, but it didn't sound as good as the digital recordings in my case, in my opinion. So right now I'm wondering what digital medium I would like to use: I own a Hifiberry (Raspberry pi with Dac+) but I still like the idea of having a physical medium like a cd. I think digital downloads or streaming will become mainstream and I'm not sure about the future of the compact disc. But I like the physical artwork and medium. It just feels less interesting to me to only download the music without having a physical copy.

So my question is: does it still make sense to buy new compact discs in 2016? How do you source your digital music?
    Definitely makes sense to me to buy cds, mint used ones can be had very cheap, downloads and streaming ain't for me though I gather sound quality is very good now
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm Johan.

Hi everyone,

first of all thanks for the big amount of replies and good suggestions!

I just didn't realize by myself that (many) cd's are very cheap nowadays so one can just have both (phyisical and digital) after ripping. I will definitely check the ripping sub forum

I will look into dedicated DACs and cd / sacd / blu ray players.

@Clifford: you are right, I will just choose what feels best at this moment.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12