+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celesion Ditton 44's and foam insulation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Bevis.

Default Celesion Ditton 44's and foam insulation

Hello

First time on the forum, so if I inadvertently miss one or two of the discussion protocols, it's not intentional.

I recently purchased a pair of mint condition Celestion Ditton 44's. The seller indicated he was the original owner, and didn't do any modifications whatsoever. When I removed the bass driver to have a look at the crossovers, I noticed a significant amount of foam insulation inside the cabinet. So much os that the foam was actually pressings against the metal bonnet of the driver to such a degree, that the foam had been molded around the housing.

I've had vintage speakers before, (better than entry level) where some foam was used, but never to this extent. My question is whether or not this is an intentional factory design. Also...I've read suggestions about cutting two ports holes ( approx 1.5" - 2".0 diameter) at the bottom front of the cabinets, resulting in them now being bass reflex, and am wondering if anyone has any feedback on this.

Thanks

Regards

BeR

I'm Darren.

Hi Bevis,

Welcome to the forum.

What you describe sounds normal to me, every pair of 44's I've been inside has 1 piece of foam (~75mm thick) between the crossover and woofer.

Hope that helps.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm jamie.

and green!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    and green!
    or not....

Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

I'm Martin.

Yes it is normal.

Cutting ports in the cabs is not a good idea. Especially as they are in good condition, these are quite a desirable vintage speaker. You could refresh the crossovers and upgrade the internal wiring, they are potentially useful mods that won't ruin the sound or reduce the desirability.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Cutting ports in the cabs is not a good idea. Especially as they are in good condition, these are quite a desirable vintage speaker. You could refresh the crossovers and upgrade the internal wiring, they are potentially useful mods that won't ruin the sound or reduce the desirability.
    What he said!

A good read if your considering a refurb: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ghlight=ditton
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm Geoff.

Hello Bevis. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and what equipment you use in your Hi-Fi system.

The Celestion Ditton 44 is a well liked vintage speaker. The speaker is tuned to work as a sealed system, so cutting ports in the front baffle is probably not a great idea. As mentioned, they can be modernised a bit with sensible upgrades like high quality capacitors in the crossovers and better internal wiring. If you do make any changes, keep all the old parts in case you sell the speaker. Some buyers want originality and may need the parts.

Modifications and upgrades have been covered here before. If you want to discuss these, start a thread in the Past Masters section. I'm sure there'll be plenty of response to any questions you may have.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Alex.

My friend modified some Ditton 44's by removing the cone midrange units and replacing them with the dome midrange units from Ditton 66's. According to him, this resulted in an improvement in the mid.
    Spendorman

I'm Martin.

Although I suppose you could make them active without doing anything irreversible. That would be interesting.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

If I was going to heavily modify a speaker, I wouldn't start with a Ditton 44.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast