+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Trichord Research Pulsar dac with outboard PSU and upgrades

I'm Lawrence.

Default FS: Trichord Research Pulsar dac with outboard PSU and upgrades

I'm finally clearing out my best gear as family life has taken over and I am downgrading/shrinking my system and moving towards headphones for evening listening. My latest sacrifice is my Trichord Pulsar dac, the one with the dip switches at the back that let you select 18/20 bit operation, dither, jitter and polarity. It comes with the optional PSU upgrade and I have a receipt from the previous (first) owner to say it needed a small repair and while it was at Trichord it was also upgraded. I'll try and dig it out but I think the repair was a resistor and the upgrade was on the output caps.

It's a great natural sounding dac, I recall a review at the time saying this dac was the first that made CD a viable audiophile alternative to vinyl. When I got it I realised how good CD could sound. I found it had a particularly transparent sound with an original arcam alpha CD player as transport it really stood out amongst the transports I have used (I stupidly sold it for an "upgrade" to a DVD player and regretted it since ). It has seen off several attempts to "upgrade" to more modern dacs including an MF 3.24 and an Audio GD sabre dac.

It weighs a lot as the two boxes have a total of 3 toroidal transformers and the output transformer in the PSU is particularly heavy. So collection from North London please I'm just inside the M25. I would like £250 please. Sorry for the poor photo I'll do some better ones when I can find the time.

I'm Lawrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

Oh and one of the 2 bnc inputs was replaced with an RCA which is very handy.

I'm Lawrence.

As my new (to me) dac has arrived I will take £200 for this now. Its taken me a couple of years of looking to better this, and what should have been a lot more money except I got a great deal, hence passing some of my luck on.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Dawson.

I had one of these a few years back. Very smooth analogue like sound. You won't get this level of quality from a modern dac with smps. Built to last aswell!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Surprised its not long gone. Good combo
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks guys yes it is a special dac. Its been supplanted by an MF tri vista dac but tbh the only reason is that the tube stage of the tri vista works.better into my ice power class d amp via a passive are. The trichord works fine into most amps with a passive its just the ice power modules are notoriously fussy.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

I'm Spencer.

Long shot but is this pairing still around?!

I'm Lawrence.

Sorry I had to withdraw from sale as I couldn't find anything I preferred, I tried several dacs up to nearly £1k used and didn't find they improved things for me. Initial excitement quickly changed to boredom or fatigue before putting this back in, when normal service was resumed.

Sadly the Tri Vista went down on one channel a few weeks after I got it so I never really had the chance to compare them as much as I would have liked.

Sent from my BLN-L21 using Tapatalk

I'm Lawrence.

I finally got the tri vista back last week so this has now been sold to the first interested party

+ Reply to Thread