+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New system from scratch

I'm Dan.

Default New system from scratch

If you were to start again, what would you do?

That's where I am now, I want a new system, but have come to a bit of a dead end with how to proceed. I have been looking at Cyrus and Naim, but I am open to any suggestions if there is something else mega out there.

Initially I was looking at a CD player set up, but it seems more and more that streaming is the way forward. Streaming looks to have its own issues as a slight amount of IT expertise is required and the networking/hard drives etc is a whole new area that needs to be researched.

Are cd's a dying breed?

I generally listen to rock music, anything from cream to Metallica, pink floyd and slipknot. But I generally sill listen to anything, although I am still trying with jazz.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

I'm Geoff.

Well Dan. That's one hell of a question.

Start with your budget. You definitely need to know how much the total initial outlay will be. Upgrade steps can always be made later.

Consider if you already have equipment worth retaining. Much older gear can be very good.

CD is by no means 'out of favour'. For many of us, it's the main source of music and it can be outstandingly good once got right. Streaming, as you say has become popular. There are a multitude of approaches to this. A good look through the Digital Expressions area should enlighten you to an extent. You don't mention records, are you not considering those? The sound from vinyl can be truly sublime, at a cost.

Don't focus on makes, some of the best systems are definitely 'mix & match'. Good second hand equipment can offer huge savings. Much decent gear comes up for sale here, in the Private Exhibitions section.

Above all, ask more questions here.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Cd is still very much here and i dont see it going completely. Vinyl is overtaking it at moment as has streaming but thats perhaps a good thing for current cd users and costs drop.
    You can put a good system together for relatively little and it will sound good. I,d avoid the flavour of today expensive stuff, and as geoff says investigate our threads on digital.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Ian.

Hi Dan,
    Geoff's advice is spot on, first decide your budget and have a look to see if you want to retain anything. If digital is your priority then one way is to go with something like a Vortexbox. This isn't so much a machine, more an operating system in that it can be installed on any PC that you are willing to dedicate to the job. Having said that there are people who sell a complete build. e.g. http://www.vortexbox.co.uk/
    Although primarily a vinyl man I use a vortexbox for various reasons. Firstly you don't have to get into streaming - connect the box to your network router using an ethernet cable then to a usb DAC of your choice to your amplifier. You can of course use streaming devices to connect to your vortexbox such as a Squeezebox - I used one of these for a study system.
    Once installed you rip your CD's to the box - dead easy then control the vortexbox using your PC/tablet/smart phone where you can instantly access any of your recordings, create playlists etc. You can also access thousands of internet radio stations including BBC offerings so it acts as a tuner as well.
    Final reason I like the vortexbox, and this also applies no doubt to other digital ripping systems, is that to my ears it sounds better than native CD's! I've owned some very decent CD players over the years but prefer the Vortexbox for convenience and sound quality.
    So there's my suggestion for a source. You can pay little or a lot for a Vortexbox and usb DAC and you get your ripped music and a tuner all in one.
    You'd also have to budget for an external hard disc to back up the box but these aren't too expensive these days.

Cheers, Ian

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Cd is still very much here and i dont see it going completely. Vinyl is overtaking it at moment as has streaming.
    Where did you get these stats? The figures I found suggest revenue from albums and paid streaming are similar,and that CD sales are double this.

I'm Martin.

In answer to the o/p if I was starting again I'd just copy an existing system that I liked best out of all those I had heard. Assuming I could afford it. I had no money starting out, my first system cost £100 from Richer Sounds. 30 years on I have what I would have bought back then if I had the money but in the intervening years what I consider to be 'end game' has changed and I've been 'exposed' to better, so I'm still not finished.

Or I would explore a DIY active system such as this https://therationalaudiophile.wordpr...m/the-project/ which was literally impossible 30 years ago but is now cheap to do and makes a lot of sense.

I would absolutely not got to a dealer and spend a shedload on a Cyrus or Naim system. I know it is the easy route but you will not get anything like the best sound you could have for your money.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dan.

Thank you for the responses guys.

There is lots more to think about.

To answer a couple of questions, my budget initial started at £1500 for each part, so £4500 in total, although once I started looking £6000 seems to be more appropriate. This really is based on a Naim or Cyrus system.

Within the next 12 months I would hope to also purchase a turntable, but I don't actually own any records. As a child I remember my grandparents had some vinyl, but once I got to an age where I was purchasing music it was either on cd or tape.

Which other brands are worth researching? It looks like I have just gone for easy expensive ones.

I'm Martin.

Vinyl? Same advice I would give for smoking. If you don't already then don't start

Forget brands for the moment and start from first principles. What is the room like? You need to match the speakers to the room so the room will dictate your speaker choice to a extent, the size and appearance of the speakers may matter here also, as will the sort of music you play.

Once you have the speakers decided on you will need to get amplification that is comfortable driving the speakers.

When you have room/speakers/amps sorted out then start considering the source component.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

There is much better to be had if you ignore the usual, highly touted in the mags, products.

I'm Geoff.

Although not a make I use, you really should have Quad on your list. I'd far sooner have a Quad based system than Cyrus or Naim. Everything they make is very well put together, reliable and sounds decent (apart from some of their speakers). The CD players are excellent as are the amps.

I could happily live with a Quad based CD system with say some nice Proac speakers.

Some great bargains about in second hand Quad gear too. Well worth considering.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast