• 8/10

3 33.33%
  • 9/10

0 0%
  • 10/10

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club, December 2016: Mogwai - 'Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will'

I'm Loz.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment folks. Not for everyone this one, but that seems the trend with The Album Club, no one record is universally liked. I agree with Rich's comment regarding the production. Always thought it sounded a bit 'harsh' in places.

As Al mentioned, a bit of a poor turn out on this one. I guess December is a busy time for many! But it's not January yet so get yer Hi Fi on and cranked up and get the votes into double figures!

Regards to all

Loz

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I liked it - nice dense, fuzzy distorted sound, with undecipherable lyrics, but with a nice, sluggish heavy beat. Just the sort of hypnotic music I can relax to.

8/10 from me
    Barry

I'm paul.

Nah, couldn't get into it, nothing to get my attention.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm John.

Good choice - I really like their LP Atomic (from earlier this year I think), but had not listened to much else from them. After listening to this one I will go and explore more.

Thanks
    John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Richard.

Squeezed in right at the end of the month. What the hell happened to December?
    Great tunes. Mogwai are masters of what they do. Melodic, post-apocalyptic rock.
    If only it had been recorded live in the studio with the band all playing together in one room onto tape with a recording engineer worth his beans - someone like Steve Albini perhaps. Give it the rawness and dynamic to make it exciting and involving.
    As it is, it has all the hallmarks of 'flattened by Pro-Tools' about it. I had to keep bringing my attention back to it as it just sounds BOORING and lifeless. A real shame as given a good recording and mastering it could have been one of their finest albums. I've heard a couple of these songs live so I know how they can sound, so it's the recording that lets the side down.
    For that I can only give it a 7.
    Rich

I'm Marc.

As a former shoegazer I quite enjoyed this, but a few more vocals wouldn't go amiss ;-)

I think a big part of the hardness and flatness that folk are hearing is overmastering. I've not thrown a meter on it myself yet but http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/119569 suggests pretty limited dynamic range, there's a tendency for the drums to suck up and spit the brassware over the top when it all gets going.

I like the mixing, there's a lot of nice eq work, instruments are well defined spectrally but I'm not sure I get what the 'presentation' is meant to be, there's a lot of space but it's not clear 'where' we're meant to be (room, cathedral, stage, spaceship...)

I can imagine it being quite a good thing to have on cans in the office.

7/10

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12