+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expensive cable test :lol:

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    I thought it was accepted wisdom that there is little to no difference between balanced XLR cables. Have you found differences before?
    I have noticed the difference between Van Damme quad core against the double core. The double core was slightly better on echo trailing away and crisper percussion but I did have to listen out for it.
    The Klotz cables are my reference now, they seemed to be the ones that let me sit there and listen to the music without me pondering on what I could do to improve the sound even more.

My problem is that there are some good live venues in Hereford and I want that at home. Impossible task I know but it is an interesting journey to try.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    I thought it was accepted wisdom that there is little to no difference between balanced XLR cables. Have you found differences before?
    My experience?
    Not at all Andrew. (albeit digital hookup to Dac XLR)

Was looking for the best connection between my Transporter and Dac, tried 'em all and a £20 Bluejeans AES/XLR cable bettered all the other connection I tried.
    So far so good, but what about different XLR cables?

Tried 2 different cables at different price points and yup, they were different and better.
    Shows that different cables can sound different at the very least.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Neil.

Analogue XLRs are so fit for purpose that the differences between professionally made ones are negligible. It's because it's the right connection for the job, UNLIKE RCA. Gaz, you seem to hear a difference in absolutely everything.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Gary.

These were digital XLRs Neil
    All with completely different cable geometries too.

Just call it as I see (hear) it!
    Happily my cable journey is almost over.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Andrew.

I have a few sets of XLR cables including some I've made myself. I can't say I have noticed any difference in sound using them. I do have the option of balanced AES into my DAC so may give that a go. Gazjam, are you saying AES bettered co-axial etc or just that the Bluejeans one was the best AES type cable?

I'm Gary.

Hi Andrew,

Wanted to find the best digital hookup from my Transporter to the Dac, so I could say Job Done and forget all about it.
    Spent some time and a lot of patience to find it!

AES was the best sounding output against the other output methods to the Dac.
    This was using the "basic" Bluejeans XLR cable.
    Glass optical was a close second, that was using a really good one (medical grade tolerances 'n such)
    http://www.lifatec.com/toslink2.html
    Still not as good as XLR though.

But..

the Bluejeans was bettered by a DH Labs D110 XLR
    http://www.silversonic.com/docs/products/D110.html
    Noticeably better than the Bluejeans, but could live with both tbh.

I'm a frequent visitor to the Computer Audiophile forum and read a thread where someone was asking about the best sounding XLR digital cable.
    The usual "its just 1's and 0's" trolling crowd were there of course, but a few guys offered good opinions, one of whom was an American mastering engineer (and well known).
    He suggested the DH Labs, but if you want better go for one from a Canadian Company called Morrow Audio.
    The Company is doing big licks at the American high end hifi shows, I looked into them and took a punt on their top flight digital XLR.
    http://morrowaudio.com/audiophile-an...es/dig4-grand-

The guy wasn't wrong...a big step up over the DH Labs and enough to make me not care about Siltech cables (uber high end) and the like.
    After a few weeks I swapped back the DH Labs, glass optical, Bluejeans cable and the rest to "sanity check" what I was hearing and the sound quality just dropped off.
    Job done really, wanted to know I'd found the best digital hookup to my Dac and I'd found it.

Worth noting though, this was my system with my Dac and digital transport...
    As always the devils in the detail, with how the inputs are configured, isolated etc for different bits of kit, so I'd encourage anyone to try for themselves in their own system.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 05-12-2016 at 23:03.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for that Gazjam. Food for thought. I think I might just have a dabble.

I'm Gary.

If definitely worth experimenting, different cables can make a difference depending on your kit.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    If definitely worth experimenting, different cables can make a difference depending on your kit.
    Very true, something that makes zero difference in one setup, can make a big difference in another, especially when it comes to cranky amps & non-optimal speaker cable.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    Very true, something that makes zero difference in one setup, can make a big difference in another, especially when it comes to cranky amps & non-optimal speaker cable.
    Thats...one way to look at it.
    I believe its more down to system transparency personally, but hey ho.
    AC POWER
    AMPS
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    TURNTABLE
    PHONOSTAGE
    DIGITAL
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    INTERCONNECTS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast