+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expensive cable test :lol:

I'm Alex.

Default Expensive cable test :lol:

I have acquired a length of Audionote AN-Vx cable and fitted a pair of Neutrik silver plated XLR`s.

My normal cable is the Klotz 5000.

So for a bit of fun, I would like to know .... What difference will they make ... or not ? Has anyone else tried cables of a similar vein ?

Oh yes, they were a pain to solder as the individual strands are Polyethylene coated. 450șC solder pot sorted them...

I'm Geoff.

Audio Note cables are pretty damn good. Mind you, their top of the range stuff has eyewatering prices.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueflash View Post
    I have acquired a length of Audionote AN-Vx cable and fitted a pair of Neutrik silver plated XLR`s.

My normal cable is the Klotz 5000.

So for a bit of fun, I would like to know .... What difference will they make ... or not ? Has anyone else tried cables of a similar vein ?

Oh yes, they were a pain to solder as the individual strands are Polyethylene coated. 450șC solder pot sorted them...
    Since you made them, why don't you tell us if they sound different? Do the two have balanced-line construction?
    Barry

I'm David.

My thoughts exactly Barry, lets get the op to give us a review. Pressure on.

I'm James.

Very impressive DDDAC there Blueflash, that's a considerable investment there.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Alex.

At the moment I have done some alterations to the Dac so I am keeping the klotz cables to allow time for it to settle down otherwise I could be led astray by the Dac settling down instead of evaluating the cable.

I have had a CD playing on repeat for about a week now so I will have a good listening session today to re acquaint myself with the Dac`s sound, then I will try the AN cable.

I won`t just plug them in and send a CD through for a week, I will start with them "cold" and see if I can track any changes over time.

The cable will go between the Dac and Preamp so are not very long but I hope it will be long enough to alter the sound.

Mean while I am working on another DDDAC stack with the Tent powered boards ....

I'm Alex.

Hi Barry,

I am running all balanced interconnects, but the AN cable is between CD player and Preamp and not very long.

I'm Alex.

Hi Sovereign

It`s a cracking Dac and responds well to power supply upgrades and tighter tolerance components but after building the tent powered
    stack I better leave it alone and do some serious listening ....

I'm Andrew.

I thought it was accepted wisdom that there is little to no difference between balanced XLR cables. Have you found differences before?

I'm Chris.

I ran Audionote ANV interconnects for about 25-30 years and bought them at a time when Peter Qvortrop was just introducing silver cables to the UK. They were very expensive and were a once in a lifetime purchase.

They shrugged off all competition I tried over that intervening period, until I heard the SW1X silver interconnects. The ANV cables went on E Bay and sold for more than I paid for them, hence financing the purchase of the SW1X cables.

As I understand it, the Audionote cable is a Litz configuration and therefore has higher impedance. This is probably a factor in the relative performance of the two manufacturers cables.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast