+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: speaker cable selection

I'm Rich.

I personally like NVA speaker cable. Others don't. Very transparent but seems to let the music through sufficiently without that artificial HF lift I find common amongst braided or twisted cables. Again, some like this, and prefer sparkle. I'll happily trade off sparkle for natural.

Choose your poison.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Gary.

Can be hard to give absolute recommendations on speaker cable I think as imo cable can sound better or worse with different speakers.
    Amp choice comes into it as well, so I tend to think of what would work with the combination of all three.

In my own case,
    tried all sorts over the years, but settled on TQ Black which worked well with my Rega RS3's when I had them.
    Change of speakers and the cable sounded a bit gash with my Edingdales, braided Cat5 cable sounding noticably better, more transparent.

The Ultra Black I use now is a different beast altogether, best I've heard in my system by quite a ways.
    Might just be my final cable who knows.

But choosing can be a bit of a crapshoot, where do you start?
    I'd try and hear as many different cables as you can in your own system, but the forum here can be a good guide and starting point as to what works and what doesn't.
    And you don't need to spend a fortune to get good speaker cable...the Pro stuff like Van Damme, Mogami and the like can be very good.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 22-12-2016 at 08:59.

I'm Mark.

I think a few audio components are genuinely superior, not just pros/cons/matching type 'better' and the TQ Ultra-Black is one of them. A lot of money but I have no idea how to DIY something as good after this, after years of using various types of DIY wire on many types of speaker.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    As Martin says, you just often have to try things. TQB is good stuff and you might find it hard to beat.

A few of us have started using this. https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...speaker-cable/

Seems nice cable and still on offer. Got some on one of my systems...just add plugs of choice
    I have ordered a bit of this to try. Will update. Cheers grant.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Jonathan.

well interestingly enough I am sticking with the Linn k400 (split into single wire), as this is just as if not better than both the TQ black and fisual (both now up for sale) much to my surprise. I think this is in line with previous comments for other around the size of cable for the system I have.
    I may try the nva ls6 at some stage as this is also a good size cable.

different strokes for different folks

I'm jamie.

ive just bought some Fisual Hollywood Dark Twist,it will do as a stop gap until such time as i can afford some NVA LS6.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm tony.

Ive read that Colin Wonfor has designed a number of new cables along with pre and power amps. Check out EWA =ELSDEN WONFOR AUDIO. He reckons his top of the range cables are better than the TQ Ultra black he designed.

Colins designs are really special bits of audio. I still have TQ BLUE/TQ BLACK running in my other systems. My main system has a TQ claymore at its heart. Ive tried TQ ULTRA black it was outstanding but I could only run to jumper lengths with close coupled mono blocks.

If money was no object.....

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Tellurium Q Black is well liked I believe. Not tried it.

Have you experimented with interconnect cables? They can have as much influence on the sound you get as the speaker cables do. I personally favour pure copper cored leads, but it's all down to preferences.
    It is also 'well coloured' and can help in balancing a system to sound more natural by virtue of a softening effect & kindness to sibilance at the upper frequencies. Personally I would try some Van Damme 'HiFi' UP-LCOFC as, from what I can see, the ultimate of speaker cable best practice i.e. low capacitance, low resistance, some moderate inductance, and the biggie for some of the more esoteric cable designers & interesting that it's in Van Damme's catalogue: linear crystal 'OCC' methods, extremely low grain boundaries in the copper. I use some with my old late 70s Exposure amp as it fulfils the requirements of this potentially cranky amp.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm jamie.

well the fisual didnt last long! lol
    it sounded very thin in my system,ive put the van damme hifi ofc back in
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Grant.

I made up a set and tested it with some gear upstairs. I sounded quite good to me. Not really tried it since tbh a Ive been using the headphones mostly.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast