+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: speaker cable selection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Jonathan.

Default speaker cable selection

hi guys,

I have a new system which I getting used to, and wondered if there is a type of speaker cable which suits particular systems better. I am using a Simaudio Moon Neo Ace al in one and a pair of dynaudio contour s3.4 speakers. So far I tried some old chord epic which I found a bit cold and flat, and now trying some tellurium q black which sounds nicer all round.
    I suppose I want to understand if there is a type of cable which I should try based on the systems specs below, as im not too technical.

Simaudio Neo Ace
    Configuration Stereo
    Power Supply Transformer 250VA
    Power Supply Capacitance 20,000μF
    Class Of Operation – Amplifier Class A/B
    Single-ended inputs 2 (RCA) pairs
    Mini-jack input 1 (1/8”)
    Input Sensitivity 370mV – 3.0V RMS
    Input Impedance 22,100Ω
    Preamplifier / Subwoofer output 1 (RCA) pair
    Headphone output 1 ( 1/4” Stereo TRS)
    Output Power @ 8Ω 50 Watts per channel
    Output Power @ 4Ω 85 Watts per channel
    Gain 37dB
    Signal-to-noise Ratio 100dB @ full power
    Frequency Response 10Hz - 80kHz +0/-3.0dB
    Crosstalk@ 1kHz -100dB
    Intermodulation Distortion 0.005%
    Total Harmonic Distortion (20Hz-20kHz @ 1W) 0.02%
    Total Harmonic Distortion (20Hz-20kHz @ 50W) 0.02%
    Remote Control Full-Function (CRM-3)
    Display Type OLED
    Power Consumption @ idle 44 watts
    Power Consumption @ Standby 11 watts

Dynaudio Contour S3.4

Sensitivity: 86 dB (2,83 V/1 m)
    IEC Power Handling: 270 W
    Impedance: 4 Ohms
    Frequency Response: 35 Hz – 25 kHz (± 3 dB)
    Box Principle: 2-way bass-reflex
    Crossover Frequencies: 2000 Hz

I'm Geoff.

The Tellurium Q Black is well liked I believe. Not tried it.

Have you experimented with interconnect cables? They can have as much influence on the sound you get as the speaker cables do. I personally favour pure copper cored leads, but it's all down to preferences.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The Tellurium Q Black is well liked I believe. Not tried it.

Have you experimented with interconnect cables? They can have as much influence on the sound you get as the speaker cables do. I personally favour pure copper cored leads, but it's all down to preferences.
    It is also 'well coloured' and can help in balancing a system to sound more natural by virtue of a softening effect & kindness to sibilance at the upper frequencies. Personally I would try some Van Damme 'HiFi' UP-LCOFC as, from what I can see, the ultimate of speaker cable best practice i.e. low capacitance, low resistance, some moderate inductance, and the biggie for some of the more esoteric cable designers & interesting that it's in Van Damme's catalogue: linear crystal 'OCC' methods, extremely low grain boundaries in the copper. I use some with my old late 70s Exposure amp as it fulfils the requirements of this potentially cranky amp.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Martin.

AFAIK there are no real guidelines as to speaker cable. Sometimes swapping it out makes no difference, sometimes the difference is significant. There must be a technical reason for this but no-one seems to be sure what it is.

What works fine in one system will spoil the sound in a different system. It is very odd.

Some suggest that as a basic rule thicker cable will sound better than thinner cable, if the thinner cable is not adequate for purpose, otherwise it is just trial and error.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jonathan.

thanks Macca,

It is interesting, dynaudio used to recommend using ocos cable with their speakers which was a fairly thick copper cable but now don't advise any specific cables.

the other point which has been made before is about spending 10-15% of the system value on cables, im not sure if this is just marketing bull or good science. I am tempted to invest in some tellurium q black ultra at some point.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Longmanjon View Post
    the other point which has been made before is about spending 10-15% of the system value on cables, im not sure if this is just marketing bull or good science. I am tempted to invest in some tellurium q black ultra at some point.
    It is bullshit. I paid £1500 for my system bits but the new cost would be £10K. So do I spend a grand on cables or £150? Or do I just try the stuff I already have lying around until I find the one that matches best?

The latter, clearly.

re the TQ cable it is either loved or loathed. The theory advanced to me is that it is suited to modern speaker designs that can sound a bit 'hot' with some equipment. The TQ 'calms' this down.

If your speakers are an older design, or your system is very well matched and not forward sounding, it will calm it down too much, and you will think it the worst cable ever.

Not my theory and I've not tried any TQ myself (too expensive for me for a bit of wire) but food for thought.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    re the TQ cable it is either loved or loathed. The theory advanced to me is that it is suited to modern speaker designs that can sound a bit 'hot' with some equipment. The TQ 'calms' this down.

If your speakers are an older design, or your system is very well matched and not forward sounding, it will calm it down too much, and you will think it the worst cable ever.
    That's right, in my experience.

TQ Black is significantly laidback. I found it boring. And the sound is a bit 'manipulated' - it just sounds a bit weirdly wrong to me.
    TQ Ultra is better balanced but still a bit on the smooth side. But in my view fell way short of justifying its price.

I've had lots of speaker cables, many excellent, but I use these now and think they are fab. Easily the best I have had. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1251

They are Western Electric copper cable stripped from a closed telephone exchange! - and then decently terminated.

A bit of a fanboy thing, but I agree with their enthusiasm. http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=7469

I have a couple of audio buddies who put me on to these.
    Amazing resolution, but not hyped up. Gorgeous tonal colours, but not 'coloured'. Amazing imaging.

Well, I loiks 'em.
    They are sent from Hong Kong but arrive quickly.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Some suggest that as a basic rule thicker cable will sound better than thinner cable.
    Funny thing is, after having used fairly substantial speaker cable for many years, I'm now using something relatively thin. Transparent Audio 'Musicord', it looks like hairdryer lead, but is probably the best sounding cable I've come across and it was one of the cheaper options in Transparent range. Very hard to track any down these days.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

As Martin says, you just often have to try things. TQB is good stuff and you might find it hard to beat.

A few of us have started using this. https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/...speaker-cable/

Seems nice cable and still on offer. Got some on one of my systems...just add plugs of choice
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jonathan.

it is true.

that cable suggestion is interesting, considering the low cost and good reviews. seems a steal, how is?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast