+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian's Lenco headshell.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    The SAS Jico will bring you close to what the 2M Black does but will work much better on the Lenco with the M55e cartridge.
    Now do you go for a sapphire or ruby cantilever?
    Eh ! You mean there's a choice now James . I'll have to have another look
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Eh ! You mean there's a choice now James . I'll have to have another look
    Hi Brian, yes Jico are doing a ruby and sapphire cantilever, the ruby is twice the price!

I am not sure if they do both options for the M55e?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ralph.

This evening I decided to try Brian's heavy headshell. I was going to fit it with my Denon DL110 but decided to give my Benz Ace a whirl instead. I wasn't sure that the Benz would be up for a fight with a 22 gram headshell but it sounded great. I can honestly say I just quite surprised at just how well it did sound. Here's a few pics;

Aligning the cartridge was a breeze.

And this is the Vacuum State protractor I use.

I had to use a heavier counterweight with this headshell, 128 grams as opposed to the 106 grams of the stock item. The heavy CW is pretty far back from the pivot point so tomorrow I'll turn a 40g and a 20g brass add on that can be glued to the back of the original CW. Fingers crossed, the 40g weight will do the job.
    Ralph.

I'm James.

Very good indeed Ralph. Nice job.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Ralph.

Cheers Jim. I'm going to try and get a lighter one done before Christmas so I can make a comparison. Tbh I would rather increase the weight along the whole arm to minimise the dumbell effect but there's only so much you can do I suppose. The main objective was to make cartridge set up easier and I'm happy that I've achieved that. I've also replaced my V blocks with ball races and got rid of the rider weight which I think has made a fair improvement. Who says you can't polish a turd
    Ralph.

I'm Brian.

Looks fantastic Ralph . Any idea if I will be able to use an Ortofon 2m Black with this headshell and arm ?
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Ralph.

The 2M Black is quite a sturdy cartridge and I see no reason why it won't work well in this headshell. I've had a Red in my own heavy headshell and it performed well.
    I've made the extra weights and I'll post some pics tonight.
    Ralph.

I'm Ralph.

I think we're there Brian. I had reservations about glueing an extra weight to the original counterweight so I've done the job properly this time.

In this pic you'll see three additional weights which can be bolted singly or in multiples to the Lenco counterweight.

Here you can see two additional weights bolted to the Lenco CW and aligned so the stub will pass through all three.

And fitted to my Lenco.

I'll try and get this lot off to you tomorrow but it might get to Saturday as I have a couple of appointments tomorrow.
    Ralph.

I'm Brian.

Wow ! This is above and beyond Ralph . This is top notch engineering and will open up all sorts of possibilities for cartridges for the GL75 . Thank you very much for this it's very much appreciated
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Ralph.

You're welcome Brian. It'll give you quite a bit of flexibility and I can honestly say my mildly modded Lenco sounded superb with the heavy headshell and counterweight addition. I haven't gone mad with the machining, there are a few odd marks here and there but it was just a quick job to see what could be achieved. I was going to do extra weights for my own Lenco instead of the blutak and washers and I usually do a proto before making the thing proper so you've ended up with the proto. All I ask is that if your happy with it can you send me another Lenco counterweight as I've used one of my spares to do this. Oh, I've included some cartridge fixing screws, nuts and washers. You'll see the combination of a steel washer on top of a nylon washer so the headshell doesn't get scraped.
    Ralph.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast