+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recapping my Celestion 15XRs

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Or you could seek out a pair of stock 15's with the better tweeter and recap them.
    Not worth the hassle, IMO, Andy, as I can't detect anything much wrong with the tweeters in these. The overall balance is pretty much spot on, IMO. If the crossover upgrades add a little more poise and finesse to the overall musical presentation, especially in the midrange, then I'll be onto a winner

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkless Electronics View Post
    I've got a pair of UL6's and I rate them as much better than the 15XR's (the UL6 was quite a bit more expensive despite being smaller).... but from what I've gleaned of your own tastes I can see that you may not agree...
    Not at all, Jez. I'm simply not in a position to hold a valid opinion, as I've never heard a pair of UL6s with which to make a proper comparison, so I'll take your word for it. The single one I've got certainly excels in its role as a centre speaker in the home-cinema system. The clarity of the midrange response in particular is superb

The UL6 is much "faster", more detailed, transparent and uncoloured but the 15XR sounds "bigger" and with more extended bass....
    I converted my UL6's to bi-wireable when it was trendy and rebuilt the crossovers while at it...
    Nice one, mate. Again, I'm not really qualified to comment, although I would say that I can't detect much lack of speed and/or detail from the 15XRs. But both speakers are really from before my time.

One thing I suspect is that most people's memories (although I'm not necessarily saying yours) of these speakers would've been them used back in the day with a vinyl set-up, most likely a budget one, and most probably too a less than wonderful partnering phono stage or amp, and so overall less than ideal.

However, the 15XRs sound totally different when used in a modern context, on the end of components costing considerably more than they do (and here I'm talking about when used in my main system instead of the Tannoys), and in particular with quality digital equipment, which sounds a million miles away from some of the rather coloured and distorted vinyl set-ups they'd likely have partnered in the 70s...

Also, as front speakers in a bang up to date home-cinema system, they're remarkably capable in many ways and make most modern speakers of their size and calibre sound overtly 'spotlit', 'falsely forced' and musically broken. Therefore, if the cap upgrade adds a bit more finesse and transparency overall, I'll be a very happy bunny indeed

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TazSob View Post
    Subbed... Good luck with your mods Marco
    Subbed?

Otherwise cheers, Taz

Marco.
    Main System

Hi Darren,

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    When did the AoS community turn into a bunch of miserable old bastards, or worse still Harry Enfield's Dave?

Lol.... There are quite a few MOBs here - and fiercely proud ones, too!

It's a bit of fun, the 15XR's require 1 x 4.7uF capacitor, it's a beer money experiment.
    Not necessarily... the two Jentzens cost me just shy of £160 But hey, it's all in a good cause!

Of course there are better speakers, there always are, but Marco like's them and that's all that matters. We all have different tastes, I personally agree with Jez and rate the UL series over the XR's but I'm not dismissing Marco's wishes or opinion just because it differs from mine, that's not what AoS is about.
    I'm here to be convinced of the superiority of the UL6s. One thing I'd struggle to get on with though is their 'horizontally aligned' visual footprint, which wouldn't really suit the room, and one might also struggle to find suitable stands for them.

I think you'll agree though that the 15XRs are a nice contrast to the Tannoys!

Either way I've never heard Jantzen Silver/Gold Z-caps in a pair of Celestions and I'm looking forward to hearing the results. Did you pick up any other caps Marco, or just the Jantzens?
    No, I was also looking at trying some Mundorf MCap EVO Silver/Gold Oils, but decided it was just a bit silly and I needed to save some cash for Sunday's bottle of claret!

In any case, I'm expecting the Jantzens to be a bit special, so hopefully they'll make the job a 'done deal'. Be interesting to see what you think anyway...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Taz.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Subbed?

Otherwise cheers, Taz

Marco.
    Subbed = Subscribed to this thread

Ah right, not heard of that one before!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Jez.

Not at all, Jez. I'm simply not in a position to hold a valid opinion, as I've never heard a pair of UL6s with which to make a proper comparison, so I'll take your word for it. The single one I've got certainly excels in its role as a centre speaker in the home-cinema system. The clarity of the midrange response in particular is superb

Nice one, mate. Again, I'm not really qualified to comment, although I would say that I can't detect much lack of speed and/or detail from the 15XRs. But both speakers are really from before my time.

One thing I suspect is that most people's memories (although I'm not necessarily saying yours) of these speakers would've been them used back in the day with a vinyl set-up, most likely a budget one, and most probably too a less than wonderful partnering phono stage or amp, and so overall less than ideal.

However, the 15XRs sound totally different when used in a modern context, on the end of components costing considerably more than they do (and here I'm talking about when used in my main system instead of the Tannoys), and in particular with quality digital equipment, which sounds a million miles away from some of the rather coloured and distorted vinyl set-ups they'd likely have partnered in the 70s...

Also, as front speakers in a bang up to date home-cinema system, they're remarkably capable in many ways and make most modern speakers of their size and calibre sound overtly 'spotlit', 'falsely forced' and musically broken. Therefore, if the cap upgrade adds a bit more finesse and transparency overall, I'll be a very happy bunny indeed

Marco.
    That's a good point Marco and yes the vast majority of my considerable time spent listening to 15XR's was on just such equipment when about 18... however... I heard some with better equipment a few years back, CD and Sugden pre and power, and my immediate thought was "just as I remember them"... in their defence these ones had been positioned according to WAF and so were hardly being heard at their best!

The UL6 is a very different sounding beast. I always found the 15XR's a bit of a warm and cuddly sound that was kind to poor recordings and always pretty musical but lacking transparency, detail, speed, depth... the UL6 can make a dogs dinner of poor recordings but can sound startlingly good on the right recordings that show of it's midrange transparency etc. I always thought they sounded rather bass light though. I reckon they are truly accurate from mid bass up, in a "monitor" and "modern" way with full HF extension, but that due to the lack of real bass it leaves them sounding a bit bright on some material.

I'd love to try some UL10's! I've never even seen any in the flesh so guessing not many around...
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Darren.

Hi Darren,
    Lol.... There are quite a few MOBs here - and proud ones, too!

Not necessarily... the two Jentzens cost me just shy of £160 But hey, it's all in a good cause!
    Then I take it all back (beer money ), your a f@cking lunatic!

I'm here to be convinced of the superiority of the UL6s. One thing I'd struggle to get on with though is their 'horizontally aligned' visual footprint, which wouldn't really suit the room, and one might also struggle to find suitable stands for them.

I think you'll agree though that the 15XRs are a nice contrast to the Tannoys!
    I was more referring to the UL8 in comparison to the 15XR (I've not yet managed to find a pair of UL6's so don't know what they sound like). Although I wasn't suggesting you ditch your 15XR's just because I prefer the UL8's. I was more trying to illustrate that just because I have a different opinion to you that doesn't mean I have to put a downer on your project.

No, I was also looking at trying some Mundorf MCap EVO Silver/Gold Oils, but decided it was just a bit silly and I needed to save some cash for Sunday's bottle of claret!

In any case, I'm expecting the Jantzens to be a bit special, so hopefully they'll make the job a 'done deal'. Be interesting to see what you think anyway...

Marco.
    I wish you hadn't said that, I'd love to hear those Mundorfs in a pair of Celestions, either way I'm looking forward to it!
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

That's a good point Marco and yes the vast majority of my considerable time spent listening to 15XR's was on just such equipment when about 18... however... I heard some with better equipment a few years back, CD and Sugden pre and power, and my immediate thought was "just as I remember them"... in their defence these ones had been positioned according to WAF and so were hardly being heard at their best!
    Lol... Well, as you know correct set up with speakers is vital. I do strongly suspect that much of the 'tubbiness'/'warm and cuddly' sound many folks relate to with these speakers is because they were largely showing up the limitations of the partnering equipment, and fatally flawed positioning too in most rooms, as let's remember back in the 70s speaker stands were still to be invented!

So in most instances they'd have been plonked on the floor (or perhaps on a large bookshelf) and connected with bell wire, with truly dire results...

I know you're not a 'cable believer', but that stuff sounds SHITE compared with even something relatively modest, such as 79-strand, and they'd have also been fronted by some shonky T/T, fitted with a dullsville MM cartridge, neither of which would've likely been set up properly, and some piss-poor budget phono stage - and you wonder why the Celestions ended up sounding as you've described?

I can assure you beyond doubt that they sound *nothing* like that here (and indeed quite the opposite), as otherwise I couldn't live with them.

The UL6 is a very different sounding beast. I always found the 15XR's a bit of a warm and cuddly sound that was kind to poor recordings and always pretty musical but lacking transparency, detail, speed, depth... the UL6 can make a dogs dinner of poor recordings but can sound startlingly good on the right recordings that show of it's midrange transparency etc. I always thought they sounded rather bass light though. I reckon they are truly accurate from mid bass up, in a "monitor" and "modern" way with full HF extension, but that due to the lack of real bass it leaves them sounding a bit bright on some material.
    Fair enough. I'd certainly like to hear a stereo pair, so if Darren comes across another one in a skip, he knows where to bring it! I'll then give you my honest opinion. But please, don't be under the misapprehension that I like a warm and cuddly sound, 'cos nothing could be further away from the truth.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Darren.

I'd love to try some UL10's! I've never even seen any in the flesh so guessing not many around...
    +1! I dream of dropping on a pair of UL10's. I've fitted MD500's in my 44 cabinets, I was going to build new cabinets to incorporate ABR's and build a pair of knock off 66's but when comparing them side by side to 66's I preferred the speed of the 44's woofer arrangement.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast