+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Croft Polestar III 2 box power amp project

I'm Jez.

I have NOS Mullard mil spec ECC81's available
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Stephen.

Thanks - I've got a couple of Siemens ECC801S's and an RFT ECC81 I might "roll" at some stage when I'm fully familiar with the new sound - it really is very impressive -i guess those 2 huge trannies really make a difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always a little further

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Thanks - I've got a couple of Siemens ECC801S's and an RFT ECC81 I might "roll" at some stage when I'm fully familiar with the new sound - it really is very impressive -i guess those 2 huge trannies really make a difference

Probably quite little IMO....

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Stephen.

Interesting- but isn't the reason why the 7R is a step up from the 7 because of the bigger/better regulated PSU?
    Going back to the ecc81's given their higher gain over the 5965 I suspect it might be "too much". Glenn modified / increased the gain on my 25RS to cater for a coupe of low output MC's I'm running

Always a little further

I'm Jez.

Interesting- but isn't the reason why the 7R is a step up from the 7 because of the bigger/better regulated PSU?
    Going back to the ecc81's given their higher gain over the 5965 I suspect it might be "too much". Glenn modified / increased the gain on my 25RS to cater for a coupe of low output MC's I'm running

The regulation is for the gain stages not the output stage... IMO the "mains transformer 10 times bigger than required" thing is another bit of marketing foo. It may add say £150+ to the parts cost but the "wow! Look at the size of the transformer/s!" and "feel the weight of that!" can add say £1K to the perceived value of a unit.... whilst usually giving only a small increase in SQ, which could be bettered by spending the money elsewhere. I'll say "IMO" as no doubt I'll end up having to give a long technical explanation as to why... after which several people who probably didn't understand the explanation will tell me I'm wrong... just... "'cos" .... and "my amp has a huge transformer so that must be why it sounds so good" So... YMMV and all that...

Well I hope I just killed the circular argument that I may have been a silly boy and started there

As to the valves well if Glenn modified it to take the 5965 rather than ECC81 then the 5965 is the one to use. The values of the resistors used to set the operating point etc will only be correct for one particular valve type One sometimes hears of "I took the ECC83's out and replaced them with ECC82's and...." People sometimes even report favourable results from this.... but often you will have increased distortion from say 0.05% to 4% or worse because the resistors in the amp are chosen to set the voltages on the electrodes of the valve to the correct ones for the ECC83... not ECC82.

Some types are so similar that they can be interchanged without problem of course. There is often all sorts of versions of a particular valve, mil spec, extra long life, newer revisions, equivalents from another country etc that have different type numbers but are built to a very similar spec. and intended to be interchangeable.
    In the case of eg the ECC83 and 82 though they have the same pin-outs and look very similar but they have very different characteristics!

Probably teaching me granny to suck eggs on that one but it could be useful for some people

I'm Stephen.

All good info and lots of reasons for me to stick to my day job 😷

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Always a little further

I'm Andrew.

Jez, I think your correct about the Extra large transformers being Foo. I gave Nick Gorham complete freedom to mod my Croft Epoch he concluded that the transformer did a perfectly good job thanks very much, I did ask about the two box mod and he advised against it. Who am I to argue against people that design/build and mod such things? My Epoch is still a one box affair and if anything else needs modding it's probably the valve regulation.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Jez, I think your correct about the Extra large transformers being Foo. I gave Nick Gorham complete freedom to mod my Croft Epoch he concluded that the transformer did a perfectly good job thanks very much, I did ask about the two box mod and he advised against it. Who am I to argue against people that design/build and mod such things? My Epoch is still a one box affair and if anything else needs modding it's probably the valve regulation.

I'm Stephen.

Mmm! If Glenn as the designer and builder (not the aftermarket modder) sees fit to build 2 boxes that's good enough for me - and I've heard the results!

Always a little further

I'm Andrew.

Mmm! If Glenn as the designer and builder (not the aftermarket modder) sees fit to build 2 boxes that's good enough for me - and I've heard the results!

Yep, makes perfect sense to me as well, but I'm very happy with what I own and quite often what Glenn does dosen't seem to make sense but works!
    Additionally I didn't have any more rack space for another box . I can only wish that it hits all the right spots for you. I'm happy that you've found something so special.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast