+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Sky Q - anyone else here got it?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by loveoscar View Post
    Well just read through this thread, and since I've been living abroad for the last 9yrs I really knew nothing about Sky. Anyway having recently moved into a flat I needed broadband and by chance went into Carphonewarehouse and they had a special deal, £16.31 per month for Sky tv and internet. Its been installed now for about a month and its one of those new Q boxes, and although I only have a Sony Bravia 32" HD its fine for me. I will say the Q box and router do get hot, just checked them when reading this thread. Don't have the sport so watching the snooker via BBC2 red button now.
    Cool - enjoy

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    However iv got to say the new q boxes are great, they're so much easier to use than virgin's offering with a far nicer interface. I love the fact i can watch recorded programmes on both boxes and dont need wires connecting them either.
    Nice one, Ben

Yup, that's a good point, and one not so far discussed. The new menu/interface in particular I find is much more intuitive than the old one, and you can access specific areas of interest much more quickly. I love the easy access to the likes of Sky Cinema and how films recorded in UHD have their own individual section, for quick and easy selection.

Get yourself a 4K compatible TV, and you'll easily see the upgrade in picture quality

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by loveoscar View Post
    Well just read through this thread, and since I've been living abroad for the last 9yrs I really knew nothing about Sky. Anyway having recently moved into a flat I needed broadband and by chance went into Carphonewarehouse and they had a special deal, £16.31 per month for Sky tv and internet..
    That is a good deal. I've been with Virgin for 20 years so of course I get screwed. Don't know how much I pay now, I'd rather not look. Just can't be arsed to knock heads with some call-centre wallah to re-negotiate it. It works, that does for me.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    Indeed...

So now the wifi bandwidth is purely for the Q mini, and portable devices...at 39Mb/s

A word of warning Marco even though the Q mini has an ethernet socket it doesn't like being hard wired, as I found out to my cost, doing so stops both the main Q and mini from acting as wifi 'hotspots'...apparently this socket may be for use at a later date.
    I binned Sky over a year ago (after being a customer for 20+ years) and went over to TalkTalk, only to be very disappointed with the TalkTalk box (very clunky and slow, sooo far behind Sky's HD box) and lack of actual content really. So I caved in and went for the 50% 1 year offer on Sky Q with an additional mini box. As others have said the picture quality is actually better than the Sky HD box on the same TV and the menu system very intuitive and slick. But what really pulled me back in was the multiroom features.

The Sky engineer thought that the mini box _had_ to work over wifi (it's own mesh, not my wifi). However, the mini will work fully wired, you just have to initially bind it to the main Q box and then in the mini's menu turn off wireless. It then connects via the wired ethernet port (assuming I guess your main Q is also on wired, I haven't tried it with the main Q on wireless) This is just as well as in our house there was no way that Sky's wireless would reach to where it was required. (I have other wifi hotspots for that purpose for mobile devices, connected to the wired ports I had put in each room when the house was re-wired) But, yes , I would agree, you have to forego the Sky wireless repeater function if you go wired.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
    I love the fact i can watch recorded programmes on both boxes and dont need wires connecting them either. I can't say I've noticed any huge upgrade in picture quality on my 3 yr old lcd panel but I'm very happy anyway.
    You can also watch everything from the sky Q app on your tablet or smartphone, and can download content for offline viewing...

What resolution is your TV (HD Ready, Full HD, or 4K), and what output resolution is your Q box set to?
    Cheers, Will

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    You can also watch everything from the sky Q app on your tablet or smartphone, and can download content for offline viewing...
    I know, and if I had a tablet or smartphone I'd use it!

However, it's a decent reason for getting one of them, probably a tablet, as I have little real use for a smartphone. I'm an 'at home' laptop kinda guy

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I know, and if I had a tablet or smartphone I'd use it!

However, it's a decent reason for getting one of them, probably a tablet, as I have little real use for a smartphone. I'm an 'at home' laptop kinda guy

Marco.
    Well worth getting a tablet Marco...

I was going to suggest an Amazon Fire, as they're ridiculously good value, due to being an Amazon 'loss leader', unfortunately either Amazon or Sky have blocked the deal, however all other Android tablets and phones are compatible from 4.1 onwards...along with some over valued fruit based products

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sk...74594f-android

We use Samsung notes, however probably overkill for just viewing sky Q...

EDIT; Another little gotcha...

The Sky Q app isn't supported on rooted Android and jailbroken Apple devices
    ...so the fire is not an option even if 'rooted'
    Last edited by WAD62; 06-12-2016 at 16:35.
    Cheers, Will

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That is a good deal. I've been with Virgin for 20 years so of course I get screwed. Don't know how much I pay now, I'd rather not look. Just can't be arsed to knock heads with some call-centre wallah to re-negotiate it. It works, that does for me.
    I'm with Virgin & on a friends advice I called them & picked the menu option for 'thinking of leaving', just told the fella I wanted to pay less & got a tenner off my monthly bill without really trying

I'm Will.

Default Sky Q to get HDR, among other things...

At last looks like sky are to bite the HDR bullet, no announcement as to which format...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#5ab0f1f27828
    Cheers, Will

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    I'm with Virgin & on a friends advice I called them & picked the menu option for 'thinking of leaving', just told the fella I wanted to pay less & got a tenner off my monthly bill without really trying
    I won't touch Virgin as they stuck one of their big grey boxes outside our house with no communication, they ignored all emails and calls ,bunch of xxxx's
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678