+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky Q - anyone else here got it?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    IThe Sky Q box gets way too hot. It also makes funny noises.
    Neither apply here. In terms of the former, is the unit placed in an area where it's getting proper ventilation?

I wish they'd drop 75% of the "channels" and just show decent programming. It is full of dire programming and repeat upon repeat.
    Undoubtedly, with so many channels to choose from, a lot of it will be dross, but for me, even out with of the sports and movie channels, there's plenty worth watching, and I like how all the catch-up stuff works.

They have sold you the higher rate broadband, obviously, but you don't need that to stream UHD - the basic 40 Mbps will do that.
    Yes, but in my experience, not as reliably or instantaneously. It also has a knock-on effect on the whole of your Internet usage. For example, I've never seen the forum operate so rapidly!

When the novelty wears off and you start looking online, you'll realise Sky will die with its current pricing model.
    For some, perhaps. Not me - I'm more than happy with things, and I also like having everything all 'under the one roof', as it saves a lot of hassle, so our telephone, Internet and TV entertainment is now with Sky, and it'll be staying that way

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    I used to watch some star trek modern of shoots a while back on regular sky on a plasma screen, clean and crisp ,on my my new HD TV with sky HD it's awful...
    Awful in what way, James? Something's defo not right. Sky HD (on my Sony 4K TV) here is superb, crisp and clear as a very crisoy clear thing!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Justin.

No the Q box is in open space - it just gets bloody hot! So does the router. Probably early versions and they've fixed it?

The 40Mbps service is ALWAYS at 38 Mbps or 37.5 at any time of day every time I test it and have done so loads of times. The ping response is also good - which means quick web page loading.

I'm sorry to be negative about it - we have everything under Sky too and it costs well over £100/month.

There is some good stuff on it. There can't not be. But it could be so much better. Also, I reckon the UHD on Netflix is better than Sky's - less compressed, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    No the Q box is in open space - it just gets bloody hot! So does the router. Probably early versions and they've fixed it?
    Must've done, mate, as it's a non-issue here.

The 40Mbps service is ALWAYS at 38 Mbps or 37.5 at any time of day every time I test it and have done so loads of times. The ping response is also good - which means quick web page loading.
    Sure, but the Fibre Max I've got now at 80 Mbps, is massively faster than the 38 Mbps, or so, of my previous broadband connection with Talk Talk. Also, another major advantage, is if I need to speak to anyone, with Sky I'm dealing with someone in Britain, not India, as it was with TT!

I'm sorry to be negative about it - we have everything under Sky too and it costs well over £100/month.
    No worries at all, you can only relate your experience, and ditto with the costs, but I suspect things have moved on a little since you first had your stuff installed, certainly in terms of the hardware.

Also, I reckon the UHD on Netflix is better than Sky's - less compressed, probably.
    I can't comment, as I've never done the comparison. However, the UHD I'm experiencing here with Sky Q is anything but compressed looking. Quite the opposite - it's visually stunning!

Btw, do you have a fancy 'scroll pad'-style (like that found on a smart phone) remote control with your Sky Q? If not, you should get one, as it's really good.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Aye that's the thing, sport doesn't interest me..
    Nor me.
    Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Depends on the strength and speed of your Internet connection, mate. That sorted, wireless isn't an issue - certainly isn't here. However, to get the most from Sky Q (and downloading movies, etc), you really need high-speed fibre broadband to take proper advantage of it.

Not if you're a fan of live sports! There's ultra-high definition broadcasts of footy, etc, all the time. Also, plenty of downloadable movies in Sky Cinema

Marco.
    No fibre optic where I am, so less than ideal, but main room where Sky + is performs fine. For a large house with numerous room wanting Sky, SkyQ is ideal, for me less so. Not into sport.
    Regards Neil

Formula 1, no?

Much better in UHD!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

Btw, do you have a fancy 'scroll pad'-style (like that found on a smart phone) remote control with your Sky Q? If not, you should get one, as it's really good.

Marco.
    I don't like that, either. The Sky installers didn't. But their kids did. I find it imprecise - because it is.

My h/w isn't old Marco - its only a few months and I am positive you won't have any performance gains with yours.

Also, the internet connection has nowt to do with Sky it is BT Open Reach re-sold by Sky. FTC or fibre to cabinet stuff. If we got it off someone else it would be exactly the same i.e. use the same infrastructure.

A really crude way to check compression levels is to freeze frame, and look at the picture from a few inches away.

BTW I have an LG OLED they don't come much better. Sky UHD looks good but for my money online UHD can be better - less compression, as I say.

I can't argue (other than with the noisy box thing), as I'm still getting into all this stuff, but I certainly can't complain with the results I'm getting here in any shape or form [and I like the new remote control], so have no desire to look elsewhere. I'm just going to enjoy it all now over the Xmas hols!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Justin.

I can't argue (other than with the noisy box thing), as I'm still getting into all this stuff, but I certainly can't complain with the results I'm getting here in any shape or form [and I like the new remote control], so have no desire to look elsewhere. I'm just going to enjoy it all now over the Xmas hols!

Marco.
    And I am sure you will. It is a new toy and is there to be enjoyed I'm just being a pedant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast