+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More tweakin', cleaning valve pins

I'm Gary.

Default More tweakin', cleaning valve pins

300B SET amp owner, mines has 2x300B power tubes and 2xTungSol 5687 NOS signal valves.
    Last week or so been hearing an intermittant rustle/crackling sound from one channel.

Bollocks thought I.
    Didn't even want to CONSIDER it might have been one of the new 300Bs...
    Swapped the signal valves about and (happily) the noise followed the valve to the other channel.

Have a few spare 5687 signal valves but was annoyed as the one that crackled was known to be the best sounding type and was quite hard to track down.
    Might as well look at the valve, see if theres anything obviously wrong with it before I change it?

Nothing obvious, maybe a couple of the pins were slightly bent and being from the 1950's the pins were heavily oxidised, amost black.
    Needlenose pliers to the bent pins and took some Deoxit to it.
    Didn't really shift the oxidisation from the pin, but know it might increase contact so worth a try.
    Nope, still a rustling valve.

All set to chuck it but having nothing to lose and being disappointed with the Deoxit, thought Id give one more thing a try, and this is where the fun began...

Autosol metal polish, http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...al-polish-75ml old toothbrush, cotton buds and a lot of elbow grease later I had a 1950s valve with pins that were chrome, not black with oxidation.
    Carefully sprayed the pins with Swarfega "Jizer" degreaser http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...egreaser-500ml let it sit for a couple of minutes to do its thing, rinsed the pins off with water and and dried them off.
    Gleaming like a new pin.

After some additional air-dry time I put the valve back in the amp and switched on.
    No more crackling valve, but more important an immediate and very noticable difference between the two channels in clarity, transparency and even volume.
    Because Id restored the valve pins to new.

Did exactly thr same with the other signal valve and wow...both channels now the same and a lot better sounding than before.

Result!
    Use NOS valves in your valve amp...?
    Get the Autosol out!
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Alan.

Good on Gaz, must get me some autosol

I'm Lawrence.

The description says it leaves a protective layer on the surface is this why you degreased it after? I wonder if brasso would be as good, I assume a mildly abrasive cleaner like that is the best for this task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Adrian.

I used silver polish then cleaned with an isopropyl alcohol/distilled water mix last time I cleaned mine. Definitive improvement.
    Adey

Sent from my Aquaris E4.5 using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm James.

Gaz this is exactly what I do to my valve pins on recommendation from Marco. I received a nice 1962 RCA 5751 yesterday and my first thought was I must clean the pins!

However until I just read this post I di not know just how effective clean pins were and how they could contribute to such a loss of clarity and performance. WOW.

I may now go through all my other valves and check their pins are shiny!

I agree with you Autosol is the best stuff to clean them with a cotton bud.

Cheers Gaz
    Last edited by Jimbo; 06-01-2017 at 08:37. Reason: Spelling
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up Clean valve pins are ESSENTIAL to maintain maximum signal integrity

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Gas this is exactly what I do to my valve pins on recommendation from Marco.
    Indeed, but did I not recommend that you use one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fibre-Glas...gAAOSwDlxU3Ldn

A fibreglass pencil is the ideal tool for the job, as it's a dry-clean process, so you can get right into the corners of the pins without the faff of removing liquid cleaning agents, and the pencil quickly gets right down to the bare metal on pins, removing the most stubborn forms oxidisation in the process.

Just be sure to wear some thin rubber gloves, when using one of the pens, as getting fibreglass splinters in your skin isn't nice! Once pins are cleaned, just to be sure that all particles of fibreglass have been removed, spray them with some Deoxit or Isopropyl alcohol, and you're good to go!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Get a saucer, stand valves in it, fill with Coke up to top of the pins. Leave overnight, then use a degreaser and fibre pen. Pins will come up like new.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

Good old healthy Coke, eh?

Never tried that, as I've always found using a fibreglass pencil on its own enough (finishing off with Deoxit, etc, aside).

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

I have a number of valves I know have less than shiny pins so will order one of these fibreglass pens.

Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

They're great, Jim. Also buy some spare 'inners', for the pens, as they do rub down quite quickly. You should also be able to get them on Ebay

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast