+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Musical Fidelity A1 (JS Audio modified)

I'm Andy.

Default FS: Musical Fidelity A1 (JS Audio modified)

A seriously tweaked version of the A1, this amp has John Sampson's full £700 mod pack, which is most obvious from the rear photo with its custom binding posts and AC socket. This is a supremely sweet sounding amp but like the standard A1 it still gets very hot and needs to be on a top shelf (on a surface that resists heat well). John has reduced its power consumption though, which my AC regenerator confirmed. I believe it has fancy caps, additional shielding and a new volume control pot too, although I'm going from memory there. It comes with a 1m mains lead provided by John, but its detachable so you could replace it if you need something longer.

I'm looking for £400 cash on collection from Oxford, plus another £20 if you need insured shipping. I don't have the original box but it will be very well packed.

I'm Lawrence.

Did JS reduce the class A bias?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm Andy.

I'm not sure, but that would be my guess. It consumes less power but gets just as hot, so it may have been an efficiency thing I suppose. It's his standard mod (only the cable length was specified by me) so it's whatever he normally does.

Edit: when I say less power I mean its down from about 70 watts to 50 watts, or 90 to 70, or something like that (I can't remember exactly), so its still a long way from being a 'green' amp... :-)

I'm Jez.

It can't consume less power and get just as hot... unless the heatsink has been reduced in size, which can be ruled out. We sometimes used to rig them for less class A in the factory if they came back a couple of times for repair and this is the only possible explanation here.
    Arkless Electronics-Engineered to be better. Tel. 01670 530674 (after 1pm)

Modded Thorens TD150, Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII, Technics EPC-300MC, Arkless Hybrid MC phono stage, Arkless passive pre, Arkless 50WPC Class A SS power amp, (or) Arkless modded Leak Stereo 20, Modded Kef Reference 105/3's
    ReVox PR99, Studer B62, Ferrograph Series 7, Tandberg TCD440, Hitachi FT-5500MkI, also FT-5500MkII
    Digital: Yamaha CDR-HD1500 (Digital Swiss army knife-CD recorder, player, hard drive, DAC and ADC in one), PC files via 24/96 sound card and SPDIF, modded Philips CD850, modded Philips CD104, modded DPA Little Bit DAC. Sennheiser HD580 cans with Arkless Headphone amp.
    Cables- free interconnects that come with CD players, mains leads from B&Q, dead kettles etc, extension leads from Tesco

I'm Andy.

Sounds like its a slight reduction in the bias then (I didn't use a thermometer to test it). It was hot before and its still really hot!

I'm Andy.

Time for a bump.

I'm Andy.

bump

I'm Andy.

Price dropped to £350

I'm Andy.

bump

I'm Andy.

bump

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast